Wasserwirtschaft und Hydrosystemmodellierung

Flood modelling and suggestions for flood resilience: A case study

Description

The study focuses on a section of the Wardha River basin, which demarcates the Chandrapur and Yavatmal districts in the state of Maharashtra, India. This basin is a constituent part of the larger Godavari River basin. Our specific study area, divided into various sub-catchments, constitutes a sub-basin within the Wardha River basin. Geographically, our study area is situated between 78° 40' E and 19° 50' N to 79° 30' E and 20° 30' N. It encompasses a total area of 3692.90 sq. km, with 2528.76 sq. km (68.49%) falling within Chandrapur district and the remaining 1164.14 sq. km (31.51%) located in Yavatmal district. According to the 2011 Census of India, the population of our study area is approximately 0.74 million. However, as of the current year 2023, the estimated populations for Chandrapur and Yavatmal districts are 2.45 million and 3.08 million, respectively, as per IndiaCensus.net (2023). The average elevation in Chandrapur district is 230 m, while in Yavatmal district, it is 303 m, as reported by Topographic-Map.com (2023).

The general objectives of the project are

  • Identify the flood susceptibility zones.
  • Impact of landuse and climate change on Runoff
  • Comparative assessment of landuse and climate change on runoff in urban and rural area
  • Develop hydrological model to study basin response.
  • Socio-economic impact of flooding
  • Recommendation for flood adoption and mitigation

Project head:

Prof. Dr.-Ing. R. Hinkelmann

Scientific assistant:

A. Sharma, M.E.

Project period:

July 2017 - December 2024

Funding:

Nil

Study Area