Modeling overall speech quality in telephone conversations
Motivation & Project Description
- Speech quality of mobile telephone or VoIP networks varies with time due to changes in transmission channel characteristics.
- Motivation: In order to plan and monitor telephone networks with time-varying quality, a model has to be established, that can quantify user’s final judgments immediately after finishing a call.
- Experiments have been conducted to obtain quality ratings “per call” and those of short-term speech samples.
- A model was developed, that incorporates the results of the experiments.
- The model was evaluated with independent rating experiments.
- The model successfully predicts quality “per call” out of short-term quality estimates obtained by an instrumental method.
- Standardization: The method was approved by the ETSI STQ mobile group (TR 102 506).
- Scientific publications
Time Frame: 01/2007 - 04/2007
T-labs Team Members:S. Möller, B. Weiss
Partners: SwissQual AG, Solothurn, Switzerland
Ericsson L.M., Sweden
- T-Mobile, Germany
- E-Plus, Germany