Basics of Sound Reproduction and Perception
Motivation & Project Description
- Spatial sound reproduction helps to exploit the natural cues of the human auditory system for various applications, like e.g. multiparty communication.
- The project aims at understanding, comparing and optimizing different sound reproduction approaches on a technical and perceptual level.
- The technical considerations focus on the mathematical foundation and signal processing issues.
- The perceptual considerations are focused on higher-level features like spaciousness, coloration, intelligibility, and the resulting plausability and immersion.
- State-of-the-art wave field analysis techniques provide a tool to characterize and measure the reproduced wave fields.
Time Frame: 12/2008 - 12/2010
T-labs Team Members: Jens Ahrens, Matthias Geier, Alexander Raake, Sascha Spors
Students: Alexander Lindau
Partners: Berlin University of Technology, Fachgebiet Audiokommunikation
Funding by: Deutsche Telekom Laboratories