Faculty VII - Economics and Management
© metamorworks
Welcome to the master's program "Industrial Economics" (MInE)


Information, announcements, and current issues related to your master's program and the faculty.


Application:see FAQ below
Admission:Winter semester
Admission restriction:Yes
Standard period of study:4 semesters
Credit points:120
Degree:Master of Science (M. Sc.)

For prospective students:
Here is a central overview of the master's program "Industrial Economics" with valuable references and further links. 


Room H 3136

Program Structure

The master's program Industrial Economics (MInE) at the TU Berlin is a consecutive study program awarding the academic degree Master of Science (M. Sc.) upon successful completion. The four compulsory modules are held in English. Non-compulsory modules are offered in either English or German. The program can be completed in four semesters.  


MInE (StuPO) 2018

The program-specific study and examination regulation (StuPO) contains the structure and outline of the program as well as regulations on the final thesis.
StuPO 2018: valid for enrollments as of WiSe 2018/19

MInE ZZO 2018

The admission regulations (ZZO) contain regulations for all requirements for obtaining a study place in the MInE master's program. (from page 7!)


The General Study and Examination Regulations of the TU Berlin (AllgStuPO) contain rules and regulations which apply across all study programs. These address topics such as enrollment, re-registration, part-time studies, leave of absence, termination of studies and examinations.

Examination Office

You can find the examination office responsible for you here: Examination Office > Team 5


The path to a doctorate may be easier than you think. There are several ways to earn a doctorate at the Faculty VII Economics and Management: earning your doctorate individually with a doctoral supervisor or as a doctoral student in a structured doctoral program. MInE students can even take courses already and have them count toward both the master's degree and in the doctoral program. This can significantly shorten the time required to complete a doctorate in a program.

Here you can find all information and further links: 

Doing a PhD at the TU Berlin (general information)

Doctorate at Faculty VII - Economics and Management

Doctoral programs at Faculty VII



What is the standard period of study?

The standard period of study for the Industrial Economics master’s program is four semesters. It is usually relevant for the payment of BAföG or scholarships.

StuPO and QISPOS/ information on the chairs' webseites differ. What counts?

In general: The StuPO (study and examination regulations), including its amendments and additions, is the legal basis of your degree program. However, StuPOs are only amended at cautious intervals due to the administrative effort involved. Building on this, there is an up-to-date and binding module catalog in the MOSES module transfer system (MTS) every semester.

How may I request a leave of absence?

All information regarding a leave of absence can be found under the following link: Leave of absence

Study and Exams

Can the MInE master's program be studied in English?

Yes, the consecutive master’s program in Industrial Economics can also be studied entirely in English. At the moment, however, it cannot be studied entirely in German, as the 4 compulsory modules are only offered in English.

Do I have to follow the study plan?

No, the study plan is only a recommendation from TU Berlin for students. In addition, a distinction must be made between the study plans for full-time and part-time students.

Is there a compulsory attendance?

Usually, there is no attendance required for courses such as lectures, exercises, tutorials etc. However, there are exceptions that will be announced in the first class or on the chair's website. This may apply to seminars, where the number of participants is limited.

Which courses can I take in the free elective area?

In the free elective area, all modules offered by the TU Berlin and other universities within the scope of the Higher Education Framework Act that have not already been taken in the compulsory or compulsory elective area can be selected. You must always register modules in the free elective area in person in the examination office before the examination. The same rules for repeating exams apply as for all other modules. Please note, however, that it can be advantageous to still have part of the free elective area open if you are taking courses as part of a study abroad program and would like to have them listed under their title on your degree certificate.

Do I have to repeat a failed exam until I have passed it?

You have three attempts to pass a module, otherwise you will be exmatriculated. Modules from the elective and compulsory elective areas can be replaced by other modules as long as they have not been finally failed (three examination attempts).

Can I take a module in the compulsory or compulsory elective area that is not in the module catalog for the area?

This is not easily possible. In justified exceptional cases, you can submit an application to the examination board. However, there is no entitlement to this.

Which language courses can I include in my studies?

In both the bachelor's and master's degree programs you have the option of including all language courses at ZEMS or other institutions that can award ECTS points in the free elective area.

How do I register for exams?

Exams in compulsory and compulsory elective subjects are usually registered online via QISPOS. However, depending on the module, there may be deviations, which are then communicated by the relevant chair.

Examinations that are taken in the free elective area must be registered at the examination office.

Can I improve exams?

There is basically no possibility of retaking a passed exam. After one week, however, the examiner can offer an oral re-examination for failed written examinations, which may also be restricted to a certain group of candidates. There is no entitlement to a re-examination. If it is passed, the judgment is “sufficient (4.0)”.

I forgot to register properly before the exam. Can I still bring in the module?

No, this is not possible without exception. If you have forgotten to register a module in due time and have already taken the exam (even in parts), you will have to take the entire module again.

I failed an exam. What are the consequences?

A failed examination must be repeated. Repeat examinations must be taken within two semesters, otherwise the examination will be deemed as failed. The application for a semester of leave or a sick leave does not prevent this period. So make sure you adhere to the repetition period.

You have a total of three attempts for each examination in the bachelor's and master's degree programs. If you fail the exam for the third time, you have definitely failed the exam and will be de-registered. You will then no longer be able to study in any German program that contains the module in the compulsory area that you have finally failed. Please note that deviations from this regulation may occur at other universities, e.g. an extension to the compulsory elective area.

How does a repeat exam work?

The first repeat exam takes place in the form of the first exam. You register exactly as you did for the first attempt of the exam.

The second repeat examination (third examination attempt) is usually oral. However, you have the option of changing the type of examination. An application to the examination board is necessary for this. Registration for the second repeat examination can only be made in person in the examination office. The desired type of examination must be specified. If you want to be examined orally, you should definitely inform the responsible examiner before registering in the examination office.

How can I extend the deadline for a repeat exam?

Examinations that have not been passed must be repeated after two semesters at the latest, otherwise this attempt will be assessed as "failed".

If this deadline cannot be met for understandable reasons (long-term illness, etc.), it is possible to extend the deadline for the repeat examination. For this you have to submit an application to the examination board.

I failed an exam for the third time. What can I do?

If the second retake examination took place as a written examination and you have also failed this examination, you only have the option of an oral retake examination. Examiners have the option to offer students an oral re-examination within one week. If you pass this examination, you will receive a "sufficient" (4.0). You do not have a right to a re-examination. Granting a make-up exam is solely at the discretion of the examiner. In all other cases you have definitively failed the exam and will be exmatriculated.


Do I have to complete a module that has already been registered or can I replace it with another if I no longer like it?

You can cancel your registration for exams at any time within the set deadlines. However, as soon as you have completed the first examination, it is no longer possible to change the module. So if you failed an exam or passed the first exam element of a portfolio examination, you have to complete the module. This also applies to additional modules. In the compulsory elective area, a module can be replaced as long as the module has not been finally failed.

Can I take modules that are not part of my studies?

In addition to the compulsory and compulsory elective modules, you can take additional modules with a maximum of 60 credit points at any time in order to gain further qualifications. Upon request to the examination office, these will be listed on your diploma. The entry is always made with the grade achieved.

Registration takes place personally in the examination office. There you can cancel your exam registration for additional modules - unlike regular modules - at any time. However, once additional modules have been taken, they will be documented in the transcript of records until the program is completed. However, a grade of 5.0 or a missed deadline does not lead to de-registration.

Can I have modules credited even if I no longer have enough free credit points for the module in the relevant area?

Yes, this is possible once, i.e. with one module. In this case, the grade for the area is calculated as the mean of all modules taken. This partial grade is then only included in the final grade with the number of credit points intended for the area. So the grade is not lost, the credit points all appear on the certificate. You then only have a masters's degree with more than 120 credit points. Registration is the same as for other modules.

Application and Admission

Where can I get help for all questions about applications and matriculation?

In general, it is not the student advisory service, but the IA (admission and enrollment) department who is responsible for all topics relating to application and enrollment. You can find a detailed questionnaire and the selection cut-off criteria from the last few years here.

What are the application deadlines?

There are different deadlines for the bachelor's and master's degree programs. The deadlines are preclusive time limits and also apply to high school graduates. Admission outside of the regular admission procedure is therefore not possible. You can find more information here.

Can I apply for the master's before completing my bachelor's degree?

Yes, you can apply before completing your bachelor's degree if you can prove at least 150 credit points/ECTS. This regulation is intended for an application in the 6th bachelor semester, as not all of the achievements are usually available by the application deadline. Modules in the bachelor's degree that extend over two semesters can be included in proportion to the work already performed with a confirmation from the chair. Unfortunately, no further exceptions can be made.

What are the application and admission requirements for the MInE?

For admission to the master’s program in Industrial Economics, you must have a first university degree in economics or a related study program.

A study program is related if it contains the following components:

  • at least 18 credit points from the field of quantitative methods (e.g. math, statistics, econometrics)
  • at least 18 credit points from the field of microeconomics (e.g. game theory, microeconomics, industrial economics)

The language of instruction in the Industrial Economics master’s program is German. If you apply with foreign educational certificates, you must therefore prove that you have a certain level of German.

As some courses/modules, particularly the compulsory modules, are offered in English, English skills are a prerequisite and have to be proven at the B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages or equivalent.

In addition to the weighting of the final grade of the previous degree, a ranking list with content-related criteria is drawn up among the applicants who meet the above admission requirements. In this, up to 100 points are awarded according to the following rule:

  • 40 points for knowledge in the area of "quantitative methods" (e.g. mathematics, statistics, econometrics) for at least 24 credit points or 60 points for knowledge in the area of "quantitative methods" (e.g. mathematics, statistics, econometrics) for at least 30 credit points.
  • 40 points for knowledge in the area of “microeconomics” (e.g. game theory, microeconomics, industrial economics) for at least 24 credit points.

If you have taken these subjects as part of your bachelor’s degree, you will have an easier transition to master’s studies, but they are not a formal requirement for admission.

The legally binding regulations can be found in the ZZO (admission and approval regulations) of the MInE program. (see link above)

Can I be placed in a higher semester?

An application for a higher semester is generally possible if you have already obtained examination credits. It is also checked whether modules have already been definitively failed and whether this represents an obstacle to starting the new program.

There are only places available in higher semesters if students from the respective semester have de-registered in the semester preceding the application and the stated capacity limit is not reached due to the de-registration.

Study abroad

How does studying abroad work and when should I apply?

The TU Berlin maintains more than 300 partnerships with foreign universities. Semesters abroad are usually recommended in the second or third semester of the master’s course. As a rule, the application deadline expires just under a year before you start studying abroad. Early planning is therefore necessary. Often, semesters abroad can only be started on certain dates. Further detailed information is available from the "International" section at Faculty VII "Economics and Management".

Master's thesis

What do I need to know in general about the master's thesis?

The master's thesis is part of the master's examination and is included in the overall grade with a weight of 30 credit points.

The topic of the master’s thesis must be related to the content of the MInE master’s program. If the master's thesis is to be supervised by a person who does not belong to Faculty VII “Economics and Management”, an informal application must be submitted to the examination board.

Further, important information on the preparation of the master’s thesis can be found in the examination regulations that apply to you.

When looking for a topic and/or a supervisor for the master’s thesis, the thesis exchange of Faculty VII can be the first point of contact, as can the individual websites of the chairs. You can find an overview of the chairs of Faculty VII here.

Are there any requirements for admission to the MInE master's thesis?

Yes, you must have successfully completed modules in the amount of at least 48 credit points.

How do I get a topic for my thesis?

There are generally two ways of choosing a topic: On the one hand, you can specifically approach chairs with your own topic suggestion. On the other hand, chairs assign topics for theses. Relevant information can be found on their websites.

The prerequisite for the admission of a topic is the thematic connection with the central subject areas of the degree and the successful completion of modules in the amount of at least 48 credit points.

How do I register a thesis and what do I have to consider?

You register your final theses personally in the examination office. To do this, apply for a topic using the form provided. After an initial examination by the examination office, the registration is passed on to the supervising chair, who enters the topic. You will receive the confirmation of the registration including the specified deadline by post.

As a rule, three firmly bound copies are to be submitted. It is also possible to hand it in to the porter of the main building or at the Campus Center. Always get a receipt for the delivery.

Can I write a thesis abroad or in a company?

Yes, that is possible. However, these theses also require the supervision of an examiner from the TU Berlin. Please coordinate with the examination board in advance.

Can I register and/or hand in a thesis during a semester of leave?

Theses (study, diploma, bachelor's and master's thesis) can be registered and submitted during a leave of absence. This increases the number of semesters anyway.

Can I extend the processing time for my thesis?

If you cannot complete your thesis within the available processing time, you can submit an application for an extension of the deadline to your responsible examination board. However, this is only possible in justified exceptional cases.

Office hours

I cannot find an answer to my questions here, what can I do?

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the student counselors in person or by e-mail. You can find all contact details and office hours here.


I would like to apply for a scholarship/internship/... and need proof of my relative ECTS grade ("Best x %").

You will receive a certificate of your relative grade in the examination office. To reduce the waiting time, the certificate can also be requested by e-mail from the examination team and picked up at the Campus Center. Please note that a certificate can only be issued with reference to your final grade after completing your studies. It is not possible to issue a certificate while the degree is in progress. For a certificate of the relative grade in an individual examination, please contact the person responsible for the module.


Still have questions? Or you would like to get to know other students of your study program? Here you can get to NaMa's ISIS platform with discussion forums, information and networking opportunities.