Faculty VII - Economics and Management
© Campaign Creators
Welcome to the bachelor's program "Volkswirtschaftslehre" (Economics)


Information, announcements, and current issues related to your bachelor's program and the faculty.


Application:see FAQ below
Admission:Winter semester
Admission restriction:Yes
Standard period of study:6 semesters
Credit points:180
Degree:Bachelor of Science (B. Sc.)

Here is a central overview of the bachelor's program "Volkswirtschaftslehre" with valuable references and further links


Room H 3136

Program Structure

Structure VWL 2022

Structure VWL 2016


VWL StuPO 2022

The program-specific study and examination regulation (StuPO) contains the structure and outline of the program.
StuPO 2022: valid for enrollments as of ab WiSe 2022/23

VWL StuPO 2018

The program-specific study and examination regulation (StuPO) contains the structure and outline of the program as well as regulations on the final thesis.
StuPO 2018: valid for enrollments as of ab WiSe 2018/19


The General Study and Examination Regulations of the TU Berlin (AllgStuPO) contain rules and regulations which apply across all study programs. These address topics such as enrollment, re-registration, part-time studies, leave of absence, termination of studies and examinations.

Switch to VWL 2022

What do you have to do to switch to the new StuPO?

On October 1, 2022, the new study and examination regulations (StuPO) will become effective. All students of the old Economics StuPO from 2007 as well as the VWL StuPO 2018 can change making a binding decision.
The new StuPo brings some important changes:
- Inclusion of the module "Introduction to Economics" in the first semester (the basic study programme is thus expanded to 78 LP).
- Restructuring of the advanced studies into 5 subject areas (only 1 compulsory area with 2 modules and new creation of 4 compulsory elective areas)
- Reduction of the business administration modules to 6 LP in the advanced study programme
For more information please read the new study and examination regulations or contact the student councelors directly.
If you are already studying Economics or VWL 2018 and want to change to the new study regulations 2022, please submit this application form to the office of the examination boards (by mail, in person during office hours or by post). Please note: If several modules are to be transferred to other areas, it is helpful to enclose a performance overview in which you clearly note the area to which the modules in question are to be transferred.

Examination Office

You can find the examination office responsible for you here: Examination Office > Team 5



What is the standard period of study?

The standard period of study for the VWL bachelor’s program is six semesters. It is usually relevant for the payment of BAföG or scholarships.

StuPO and QISPOS/ information on the chairs' webseites differ. What counts?

In general: The StuPO (study and examination regulations), including its amendments and additions, is the legal basis of your degree program. However, StuPOs are only amended at cautious intervals due to the administrative effort involved. Building on this, there is an up-to-date and binding module catalog in the MOSES module transfer system (MTS) every semester.

How may I request a leave of absence?

All information regarding a leave of absence can be found under the following link: Leave of absence

Study & Exams

Can I study the Bachelor program VWL in English?

The Bachelor program Volkswirtschaftslehre is a German-speaking program, however, selected classes are available in English. The consecutive master’s program Industrial Economics can be studied in English.

Do I have to follow the study plan?

No, the study plan is only a recommendation from TU Berlin for students. In addition, a distinction must be made between the study plans for full-time and part-time students.

How do I register for a tutorial on the MOSES platform?

To be able to register you first need a tubIT account which you receive together with your student ID. With the received login credentials you sign in on www.moseskonto.tu-berlin.de and select “tutorials”. To start the registration, you need to select the classes you want to take (note: not all classes have tutorials). In the first semester this could be for example Mathematik I für Wirtschaftswissenschaften or Mikroökonomik. Then you can determine your free time slots in the shown schedule. Red ensures that you (most likely) won’t be assigned to a tutorial at this hour, blue is indifferent, and green means you actively want to have tutorials at that time. By clicking a time slot, you can change its colour.

If not indicated differently, you need to complete your time slot priorities until Wednesday night of the first week of classes. Following, you will be assigned to tutorials by the MOSES software which usually takes around 2 days. Then you will be able to see the times, rooms, (and tutor) for all of your chosen tutorials in the schedule.

Is there a compulsory attendance?

Usually, there is no attendance required for courses such as lectures, exercises, tutorials etc. However, there are exceptions that will be announced in the first class or on the chair's website. This may apply to seminars, where the number of participants is limited.

Which courses can I take in the free elective area?

In the free elective area, all modules offered by the TU Berlin and other universities within the scope of the Higher Education Framework Act that have not already been taken in the compulsory or compulsory elective area can be selected. You must always register modules in the free elective area (in person) in the examination office before the examination. The same rules for repeating exams apply as for all other modules. Please note, however, that it can be of advantage to still have part of the free elective area open if studying abroad as it enables you to take a larger variety of classes and it is possible to have them listed under their original title.

Furthermore, it is possible to take any course (for example a language class from the ZEMS) that comes certified with ECTS as a free elective module.

Do I have to repeat a failed exam until I have passed it?

You have three attempts to pass a module, otherwise you will be exmatriculated. Modules from the elective and compulsory elective areas can be replaced by other modules if they have not been finally failed three times.

Can I take a module in the compulsory or compulsory elective area that is not in the module catalog for the area?

This is not easily possible. In justified exceptional cases, you can submit an application to the examination board. However, there is no entitlement to this.

Which language courses can I include in my studies?

In both the bachelor's and master's degree programs you have the option of including all language courses at ZEMS or other institutions that can award ECTS points in the free elective area.

How do I register for exams?

Exams in compulsory and compulsory elective subjects are usually registered online via QISPOS. However, depending on the module, there may be deviations, which are then communicated by the relevant chair.

Exams in the free elective area have to be registered directly through the office of examination.

Can I improve a grade from a passed exam?

There is no possibility of retaking a passed exam. After one week, however, the examiner can offer an oral re-examination for failed written examinations, which may also be restricted to a certain group of candidates. There is no entitlement to a re-examination. If it is passed, the judgment is “sufficient (4.0)”.

I forgot to register properly before the exam. Can I still receive the credits for this module?

No, this is not possible without any exceptions. If you have forgotten to register a module in time and have already taken the exam (even partly), you will have to do the entire module again.

I failed an exam. What are the consequences?

A failed examination must be repeated. Repeat examinations must be taken within two semesters, otherwise the examination will be deemed as failed. The application for a semester of leave or a sick leave does not prevent this period. So make sure you adhere to the repetition period.

You have a total of three attempts for each examination in the bachelor's and master's degree programs. If you fail the exam for the third time, you have definitely failed the exam and will be de-registered. You will then no longer be able to study in any German program that contains the module in the compulsory area that you have finally failed. Please note that deviations from this regulation may occur at other universities, e.g. an extension to the compulsory elective area.

How does a repeat exam work?

The first repeat exam takes place in the form of the first exam. You register exactly as you did for the first attempt of the exam.

The second repeat examination (third examination attempt) is usually oral. However, you have the option of changing the type of examination. An application to the examination board is necessary for this. Registration for the second repeat examination can only be made in person in the examination office. The desired type of examination must be specified. If you want to be examined orally, you should definitely inform the responsible examiner before registering in the examination office.

How can I extend the deadline for a repeat exam?

Examinations that have not been passed must be repeated after two semesters at the latest, otherwise this attempt will be assessed as "failed".

If this deadline cannot be met for understandable reasons (long-term illness, etc.), it is possible to extend the deadline for the repeat examination. For this you have to submit an application to the examination board.

I failed an exam for the third time. What can I do?

If the second retake examination took place as a written examination and you have also failed this examination, you only have the option of an oral retake examination. Examiners have the option to offer students an oral re-examination within one week. If you pass this examination, you will receive a "sufficient" (4.0). You do not have a right to a re-examination. Granting a make-up exam is solely at the discretion of the examiner. In all other cases you have definitively failed the exam and will be exmatriculated.

Do I have to complete a module that has already been registered or can I replace it with another if I no longer like it?

You can cancel your registration for exams at any time within the set deadlines. However, as soon as you have completed the first examination, it is no longer possible to change the module. So if you failed an exam or passed the first exam element of a portfolio examination, you have to complete the module. This also applies to additional modules. In the compulsory elective area, a module can be replaced as long as the module has not been finally failed.

Can I take modules that are not part of my studies?

In addition to the compulsory and compulsory elective modules, you can take additional modules with a maximum of 60 credit points at any time in order to gain further qualifications. Upon request to the examination office, these will be listed on your diploma. The entry is always made with the grade achieved.

Registration takes place personally in the examination office. There you can cancel your exam registration for additional modules - unlike regular modules - at any time. However, once additional modules have been taken, they will be documented in the transcript of records until the program is completed. However, a grade of 5.0 or a missed deadline does not lead to de-registration.

Is it possible to take classes that are required for a master’s program already during the bachelor?

Yes, it is possible when registering the exam as an exta module (Zusatzmodul). Extra modules have to be registered (in person) with the examination office (Prüfungsamt). If the extra classes are suitable in terms of content they can be accredited in a master’s program upon request. If you have done more than 30 ECTS worth of eligible courses you can start the master’s program in a higher semester.

Can I have modules credited even if I no longer have enough free credit points for the module in the relevant area?

Yes, this is possible once, i.e. with one module. In this case, the grade for the area is calculated as the mean of all modules taken. This partial grade is then only included in the final grade with the number of credit points intended for the area. So the grade is not lost, the credit points all appear on the certificate. You then only have a masters's degree with more than 120 credit points. Registration is the same as for other modules.

Application and Admission

Where can I get help for all questions about applications and matriculation?

In general, it is not the student advisory service, but the IA (admission and enrollment) department who is responsible for all topics relating to application and enrollment. You can find a detailed questionnaire and the selection cut-off criteria from the last few years here.

What are the application deadlines?

There are different deadlines for the bachelor's and master's degree programs. The deadlines are preclusive time limits and also apply to high school graduates. Admission outside of the regular admission procedure is therefore not possible. You can find more information here

What is the NC (Numerus Clausus) for the bachelor program VWL?

In every application phase it is determined again, so it varies over the years. On this webpage you will find the values for the past years, however, these are only for orientation as especially admission by waiting time varies a lot.

Can I be placed in a higher semester?

An application for a higher semester is generally possible if you have already obtained examination credits. It is also checked whether modules have already been definitively failed and whether this represents an obstacle to starting the new program.

There are only places available in higher semesters if students from the respective semester have de-registered in the semester preceding the application and the stated capacity limit is not reached due to the de-registration.

Study abroad

How does studying abroad work and when should I apply?

The TU Berlin maintains more than 300 partnerships with foreign universities. Semesters abroad are usually recommended in the second or third semester of the master’s course. As a rule, the application deadline expires just under a year before you start studying abroad. Early planning is therefore necessary. Often, semesters abroad can only be started on certain dates. Further detailed information is available from the "International" section at Faculty VII "Economics and Management".

Bachelor's thesis

What do I have to know about the bachelor thesis?

The bachelor thesis is part of the bachelor examination and contributes with 12 ECTS to the overall grade. The topic of the thesis is to be connected to the content of the study program. If the mentor of the thesis is not part of the Business & Management Faculty you have to make an informal request to the examination board (Prüfungsausschuss) to have a “foreign-faculty” mentor approved. Further important information is to be found the valid examination regulation.

For finding a topic or a mentor you can check out the “Abschlussarbeiten-Börse” of the Faculty VII or have a look on the websites of the individual departments and chairs. An overview of the departments of Faculty VII may be found here.

Are there any requirements to register the bachelor thesis in the study program VWL?

Yes, you have to have completed all the obligatory modules. Furthermore, it is recommended to only register the thesis after having completed at least 126 ECTS out of the full 180. It is unlikely that any department will accept you as a thesis student if you have not already completed the majority of your courses.

How do I get a topic for my thesis?

There are generally two ways of choosing a topic: On the one hand, you can specifically approach chairs with your own topic suggestion. On the other hand, chairs assign topics for theses. Relevant information can be found on their websites.

The prerequisite for the admission of a topic is the thematic connection with the central subject areas of the study program as well as the successful completion of all basic modules (compulsory modules).

How do I register a thesis and what do I have to consider?

You register your final theses personally in the examination office. To do this, apply for a topic using the form provided. After an initial examination by the examination office, the registration is passed on to the supervising chair, who enters the topic. You will receive the confirmation of the registration including the specified deadline by post.

As a rule, three firmly bound copies are to be submitted. It is also possible to hand it in to the porter of the main building or at the Campus Center. Always get a receipt for the delivery.

Can I write a thesis abroad or in a company?

Yes, that is possible. However, these theses also require the supervision of an examiner from the TU Berlin. Please coordinate with the examination board in advance.

Can I register and/or hand in a thesis during a semester of leave?

Theses (study, diploma, bachelor's and master's thesis) can be registered and submitted during a leave of absence. This increases the number of semesters anyway.

Can I extend the processing time for my thesis?

If you cannot complete your thesis within the available processing time, you can submit an application for an extension of the deadline to your responsible examination board. However, this is only possible in justified exceptional cases.

Office hours

I cannot find an answer to my questions here, what can I do?

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the student counselors in person or by e-mail. You can find all contact details and office hours here.

Applying for the consecutive master’s program MInE

Can I apply for the MInE master’s program before completing my bachelor degree?

Yes, you can apply before completion if you have a minimum of 150 ECTS. This exception is supposed to be for students in their 6th semester since at the time of application not all exams have been held yet. Classes that stretch over two semesters may be considered proportionately with a confirmation of the respective chair. No further exceptions can be made.

What are the admission regulations for the master’s program?

All requirements and further important information for the admission to the MInE master’s program may be found here


The BAFöG office asks me to hand in “Formblatt 5”. Where can I get the proof about the sufficient ECTS?

The BAFöG office asks me to hand in “Formblatt 5”. Where can I get the proof about the sufficient ECTS?f you receive BAFöG you will have to prove after the fourth semester that you have completed around 120 ECTS which is asked in the Formblatt 5. You can request a document that proves this from the BAFöG appointee of faculty VII. To receive the document you need to provide the proof of your successfully completed classes which you can receive as a PDF from Qispos. If necessary this can also be done by mail or by bringing the documents to the office.

I would like to apply for a scholarship/internship/... and need proof of my relative ECTS grade ("Best x %").

You will receive a certificate of your relative grade in the examination office. To reduce the waiting time, the certificate can also be requested by e-mail from the examination team and picked up at the Campus Center. Please note that a certificate can only be issued with reference to your final grade after completing your studies. It is not possible to issue a certificate while the degree is in progress. For a certificate of the relative grade in an individual examination, please contact the person responsible for the module.


Still have questions? Or you would like to get to know other students of your study program? Here you can get to VWL's ISIS platform with discussion forums, information and networking opportunities.