Faculty VII - Economics and Management

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Questions concerning the Application Process

How can I apply?

  • You can find detailed help concerning the application process here as well as further information on the website Studying Abroad  of the Student Mobility.
  • All relevant forms can be found here.
  • Detailed information about the Learning Agreement can be found further down in the FAQs.

Where can I apply?

  • A list with the partner universities of Faculty VII can be found here.
  • You can apply for both ERASMUS+ and Overseas programs.  
  • A maximum of 3 applications for different universities are possible at the same time, sorted by priority.
  • More information in the flyers here.
  • You can apply for ERASMUS + and overseas at the same time.

When can I apply?

  • It is recommended to start your exchange semester from the 3rd Bachelor semester or the 1st Master semester ongoing. Due to the long lead time of one year, it is therefore important to deal with the topic at an early stage.
  • Current application deadlines can be found here (the ERASMUS+ and overseas programs have different deadlines).
  • The schedule for: ERASMUS+ and Overseas
  • Current information events about the exchange programs can be found here.
  • Remaining places: vacant exchange positions will be announced at the information center in the Campus Center ("Infothek") after the regular application procedure. All students can apply.

What if I missed the deadlines?

If you have missed a deadline, you should contact the information desk at the Campus Center ("Infothek"). There is the possibility of remaining places at some partner universities. 

I am planning to study abroad in the summer semester. Does the January application deadline also apply to me?

Yes, the application deadline in January also applies for the summer semester. There is another application deadline in June, when places are also allocated for the summer semester. However, these are the remaining places from the winter application round. You have better chances of getting a place at the university of your choice if you apply in January.

Can I still apply if I am already in the 5th or 6th semester as a Bachelor's student or in the 3rd semester as a Master's student?

In principle, you can also apply to study abroad in a later semester. This can be particularly reasonable if, due to a high workload, in addition to studying, an internship semester, an illness, caring for relatives, etc., sufficient courses abroad can still be taken and credited. When applying, it is particularly important that it is shown how the study abroad is embedded in the entire course of studies.

Questions concerning Application Forms

How do I get a university teacher's report (Hochschullehrendengutachten)?

Many chairs offer a university teacher's report proactively. Otherwise, you should ask the student office ("Sekretariat") of the relevant chair on your own initiative. When choosing a professor, you should bear in mind that he or she can already assess you through courses. Of course, it is ideal if the professor supports your plans, if the subject area matches your study plans at home and abroad and if you have achieved good academic results. For Master students who are new at TU Berlin, a report from the professor of the previous university can also be obtained.

You can download the necessary form here

Which language certification do I need?

That depends on the partner university. Often the ZEMS language assessment is sufficient for an application. It is best to get information from the respective partner university in advance, sometimes the TOEFL is necessary. If there is no information on the website of the partner university, the International Office of TU Berlin can be consulted. 

For both certifications a previous registration is necessary, but the ZEMS language certification is much cheaper. In return, the TOEFL is highly recognized internationally, but is only valid for 2 years

Do I also need proof of the national language (e.g. Italian) if I only take English-language modules at the partner university?

In principle, the language of study is decisive for the application. In some countries, e.g. France, Spain, Italy, a basic knowledge of the national language is strongly recommended so that everyday life can be mastered more easily. Knowledge of the national language or the willingness to learn it can also have a positive effect on application chances.

How do I fill out a Learning Agreement?

  • Modules must fit in with your studies; unless you take the module as a free choice.
  • Only compulsory modules have to be recognized equivalently, i.e. the topics covered abroad have to correspond to the topics covered at TU Berlin and the number of credits awarded must be at least the same as for the module at TU Berlin.
  • For all elective modules (and free choice) it applies that the modules must fit into the corresponding area of the study program (not equivalent to a module of TU Berlin). Therefore, the foreign module is written in English with the foreign ECTS number in Table B of the Learning Agreement.
  • For all modules, the study area in which it should be recognized is written in brackets in table B.
  • Please come to the consultation hours of the international consultancy with the completed form. There all further questions will be clarified and the form will be signed and stamped.
  • You need a signed Learning Agreement for your application at the partner university!
  • If you are not able to take modules abroad at short notice, there is the possibility to adapt the Learning Agreement again. For this purpose, please get in touch again with us.
  • If you take modules abroad which have not been approved in the Learning Agreement, there is no guarantee that you will be able to recognize them for your studies.

What does the ISCED-code mean and how do I have to take it into account when applying?

The “International Standard Classification of Education" (ISCED) code is used to classify educational programs into specific subjects. Faculty VII cooperates with the following ISCED-codes:

  • 0311: Economics
  • 041: Business Administration
  • 061: Industrial Engineering and Management (Information and Communication Systems)
  • 071: Industrial Engineering and Management
  • 0714: Industrial Engineering and Management (Electrical Engineering)
  • 09: Industrial Engineering and Management (Healthcare Technology)

Depending on the cooperation, the ISCED-code determines more or less closely which modules/courses can be attended at the partner university. As a rule, the courses in the course overview and in the Learning Agreement must match the ISCED-code. Exceptions to this can be agreed individually by the applicants with the partner universities. Among other things, some cooperation partners allow, for example, a third of the selected credits to be earned at other faculties/schools.

You can find the complete overview of the codes here.

What does the detailed curriculum (ausführlicher Studienplan) contain (overseas only)?

This is an informal document listing the courses planned for abroad. It may be advisable to list more courses than can actually be taken if it turns out that courses are no longer available at the partner university. Often it is also useful to include the module description

Furthermore, the curriculum can also explain the motivation for the respective module and the possibilities of credit transfer.

Should I always specify three priorities for the application or is one sufficient?

We recommend several priorities, as there are many very popular partner universities for which we receive significantly more applications than there are exchange places available. However, you should be able to imagine studying at the partner universities of the 2nd and 3rd priority and inform yourself about them.

Can I also receive an Learning Agreement, if I am going overseas?

  • With a Learning Agreement, students who go abroad via the Erasmus program make a binding commitment with TU Berlin that these courses will be recognized after completion of the semester abroad.

  • As a special service, we also offer students who participate in an overseas program to conclude a Learning Agreement with us.

  • Thus, even students who do not participate in the ERASMUS+ program are offered the opportunity to receive a binding commitment for their courses.

  • The form for the Learning Agreement can be found here.

Further Questions concerning Studys Abroad

What financial options are there?

  • If you go abroad via the TU Berlin, you will automatically receive a mobility scholarship. This covers the entire study costs of the university abroad and also pays a monthly scholarship rate of 300 to 420 euros, depending on the destination country. You can find further information about the scholarship here.
  • Otherwise there is the possibility to get additional support. The following links offer a selection of scholarships and scholarship databases:
  • For further information on scholarships, please contact the Career Service of  TU Berlin.

Can I write my thesis abroad?

Yes, that is easily possible. The important thing is that you:

  • Before: Look for supervising university teachers at the university abroad and obtain a written confirmation of supervision; look for supervising university teachers at TU Berlin and ensure the modalities of recognition.
  • While being abroad: Inform the TU Berlin supervisor about the progress and discuss changes.
  • Subsequently: The supervising university teacher at the university abroad prepares a detailed report/evaluation and awards a grade; the supervising university teacher at TU Berlin confirms the evaluation and the examination office transfers the converted grade.

Can I also organize a stay abroad myself?

  • The preparation of a stay abroad without TU Berlin is possible. However, this results in a higher organizational effort.
  • In addition, you will not receive the ERASMUS+ scholarship and have to pay the tuition fees yourself at the university abroad (if necessary).
  • Furthermore, a stay as a so-called "Freemover" is only possible if  TU Berlin does not already have a cooperation with the university abroad.
  • Nevertheless, a learning aggrement has to be concluded with TU Berlin.
  • More information can be found here.

Does a leave of absence (semester on leave) at the TU Berlin make sense during the period abroad?

A leave of absence has few disadvantages. The number of semesters is not counted any further and not every type of examination can be taken, e.g. portfolio examination. Writing exams (written examination), on the other hand, is usually possible. By taking a leave of absence, you can be exempt from the fees for the semester ticket and then only pay a small administrative fee to the TU Berlin.

Questions about the transfer of grades (after the phase abroad)

Where can I apply for the transfer?

The examination board is responsible for the transfer and recognition of study achievements from abroad:

You submit an application to the relevant examination board for the transfer and recognition of study and examination achievements that have been completed during a semester abroad or a Double Master’s program. You will find a corresponding form on the website of the examination board.

In addition, please submit your transcript of records from the university abroad, a current transcript of records from the TU Berlin and (if available) the module descriptions of the achievements to be transfered. If you have signed a Learning Agreement before or during your studies abroad, please also enclose it.

How will my grades be transfered after my studies abroad?

You can find all relevant information here

You can find the grade conversion table here.