I A - Office of Student Affairs
I A - Office of Student Affairs

Applying and Enrolling for Doctoral Studies

If you are interested in enrolling in doctoral studies, you must first submit proof that your declaration of intent to pursue a doctorate has been accepted by the relevant faculty at Technische Universität Berlin. This means you must first submit the declaration of intent to the faculty service center of the relevant faculty. The faculty board will then inform you whether you have been admitted as a doctoral candidate and of any conditions of your admission. The TU Berlin Doctoral Regulations require all doctoral candidates not employed at TU Berlin to enroll as doctoral students.

You can find complete information about enrollment in the doctorate info sheet. When enrolling, please be sure to state the degree program offered by TU Berlin which most closely matches with your field of work.

How to enroll

To enroll you must have received the faculty board decision confirming the faculty’s acceptance of your declaration of intent to pursue a doctorate and stating whether you will be completing your doctorate in English or German.

You must register your declaration of intent to pursue a doctorate at the relevant faculty service center (see contact details below).

You can apply and enroll at any time.

As a doctoral student, you are required to pay a semester fee each semester like all enrolled students. You will not be charged any late fees when enrolling. However, please note a late fee will be charged if you re-register after the required deadline.

You can find general information about doctoral studies on the TU-DOC – Office for Doctoral and Postdoctoral Services website.

Enrollment steps for doctoral candidates whose declaration of intent has been approved:

  1. You need to first complete the online registration.
  2. You will then receive an email with login details for your personal TU Berlin portal (tuPORT).
  3. You will be able to see the tile “Enrollment and re-registration requirements”. Click here to see which documents you are required to upload.
  4. Refer to the following web page to get an idea of which documents these are.
  5. After you finish enrolling, you will receive an email with further information.

Overview of TU Berlin points of contact

TU-DOC – Office for Doctoral and Postdoctoral ServicesInformation and advising on doctorates and the postdoc phase Preparation of course offers and funding options
Faculty Service CenterClarification of formal questions, registration of the declaration of intent to pursue a doctorate, admission to the doctoral procedure
Office of Student Affairs - Graduate AdmissionsAdvising for prospective doctoral candidates with a foreign university degree
International Office - Student Mobility and International StudentsGeneral information about stays, working, accommodation, visa services
International Office - Recognition OfficeAdvising for prospective doctoral candidates with a foreign university degree
FacultyFaculty Service Center (FSC)Contact person in FSCDesignated contact
Faculty I - Humanities:Faculty Service CenterIna HaaseProf. Dr. Kerstin Wittmann-Englert + Prof. Dr. Helga Marburger
Faculty II – Mathematics and Natural Sciences:Faculty Service CenterAnne Jenß + Lara SchäferProf. Dr. Etienne Emmrich
Faculty III – Process Sciences:Faculty Service CenterBeate NeumannDr. Philip Wietstock
Faculty IV – Electrical Engineering and Computer Science:Faculty Service CenterJana PeichProf. Dr. Odej Kao + Prof. Dr. Marianne Maertens
Faculty V – Mechanical Engineering and Transport Systems:Faculty Service CenterJulia StützerProf. Dr. Dietrich Manzey
Faculty VI – Planning Building Environment:Faculty Service CenterN.N.Dr. Daniel Aubram
Faculty VII – Economics and Management:Faculty Service CenterIra Zingel-KädingProf. Dr. Dorothea Kübler

How to contact us:

Organization name Office of Student Affairs
Office IA 1
Building Hauptgebäude
Room 0048a-0050
Address Straße des 17. Juni 135
10623 Berlin

Aktuelles aus dem Studierendensekretariat

Where to find points of contact

  • Marker  Campus Center
  • Marker  Doctoral and Postdoctoral Services
  • Marker  Office of Student Affairs (Application & Enrollment), Graduate Admissions