I A - Office of Student Affairs
I A - Office of Student Affairs

Prospective students with an international higher education entrance qualification | Team Bachelor International

University entrance qualification certificate

If you wish to apply for admission to TU Berlin, you must provide proof of a university entrance qualification (= Hochschulzugangsberechtigung/HZB).

General Information

anabin: Assessments of the Central Office for Foreign Education

Your university entrance qualification will be assessed to see if it meets the standards of the Central Office for Foreign Education (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen – ZAB), both with regard to the desired degree program and the relevant study semester applied for.

Please check the anabin website for further information about the ZAB’s standards. Search under “Schulabschlüsse mit Hochschulzugang” and/or “Bildungswesen” by the country of your educational system.

Please note that binding decisions regarding the recognition of foreign educational certificates can only be made after the submission of an application to uni-assist. TU Berlin does not conduct any prior checks.

The assessment is only conducted for the requested degree program and relevant study semester; if you change degree programs within TU Berlin, renewed application and assessment by uni-assist is required!

If you cannot find a conclusive assessment for your foreign educational certificates on anabin, you can request an individual decision from the Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle der für Bildung zuständigen Berliner Senatsverwaltung (Certificate Recognition Office of the Berlin Senate Department of Education).

Types of university entrance qualification according to anabin

Direct university entrance qualification

  • anabin valuation: “direkter Zugang” (direct admission)
  • You can apply directly for studies.

Indirect university entrance qualification

  • anabin valuation: “Feststellungsprüfung/Studienkolleg” (assessment test/Preparatory School)
  • You can apply to the Preparatory School to take the assessment test. Application for admission to an undergraduate degree program is only possible after passing the assessment test.

No university entrance qualification

  • anabin valuation: “Keine Zulassung zu allen Hochschulen” (No admission to all institutions of higher education)
  • You have acquired neither an indirect nor a direct university entrance qualification. You can learn about options for acquiring a university entrance qualification on the following web page.



  • anabin valuation: “für alle Fächer” or “für alle Schwerpunktkurse” (for all subjects or for all focus courses)
  • If you have a general university entrance qualification, you are eligible to apply for undergraduate programs or focus courses at the Preparatory School in any subject of your choice.


  • anabin valuation: “fachorientiert” (subject-specific)
  • If you have a subject-specific university entrance qualification, you are eligible to apply only for specific preparatory focus courses or specific undergraduate programs. Please check the overview here to see which undergraduate program or focus course at the Preparatory School matches your subject qualification.

Documentation to be submitted for the assessment of the university entrance qualification

Form and extent of the documentation to be submitted

For the assessment of your university entrance qualification and for the calculation of an average grade, you must submit all required foreign educational certificates in full, in due form and on time.

All educational certificates that have not been issued in either German or English must always be submitted in the original language of the country of origin and, in addition, in German or English translation.

Please pay attention to the information under Official certification & translation of application and enrollment documents.

Information on the educational certificates to be submitted can be found, among other places, in the evaluation proposals on the anabin and uni-assist websites.

Incomplete and/or provisionally issued educational certificates cannot be considered and will lead to the rejection of your application.

Please note that, as a rule, the most recently acquired educational certificate determines the “date of acquisition of the university entrance qualification”.

Documentation to be submitted in principle:

  • Secondary-school final transcript and school-leaving certificate, where available, including summary of subjects and grades


  • Proof of completed studies, including an overview of subjects and grades as well as an average grade calculated by the institution of higher education

Additional documentation that may be required for submission:

  • Semi-annual and annual reports from the final two to four years of school including overview of subjects and grades
  • Proof of a university entrance examination or attendance of a pre-university course
  • Assessment test certificate (Feststellungsprüfung) – certificate from a German Preparatory School
  • Proof of successfully completed academic years at institutions of higher education in the form of overviews of subjects and grades

Please note: Time already spent studying at a German university is not a factor in the awarding of a university entrance qualification!

Special qualifications

Assessment test certificate (Feststellungsprüfung) – certificate from a German preparatory school

If you have passed an assessment test at a state-recognized preparatory school in Germany (Studienkolleg), you are required to submit your certificate for this (Feststellungszeugnis) along with all foreign educational qualifications qualifying you for indirect university entrance.

The assessment test certificate must qualify you for admission to a degree program at a university. Assessment test certificates only qualifying you to study at a university of applied sciences or at a university in one particular federal state other than Berlin, or a university other than TU Berlin cannot be considered.

Incomplete and/or provisionally issued educational certificates cannot be considered and will result in the rejection of your application. All documents and foreign educational certificates listed on the assessment test certificate must be submitted with the application.

An application for a degree program at TU Berlin not compatible with the focus course indicated on your assessment test certificate is only possible if you can prove that the focus course indicated on your assessment test certificate is compatible with the degree program you wish to study as offered in the federal state where you took your assessment test. Valid proof can be provided by an official document from a university in the federal state where you took your assessment test.

The passing of an assessment test means you have earned the direct right to study subjects at a higher education institution in Germany, directly related to your focus course at the preparatory school However, this is not equivalent to a German Abitur or German higher education entrance qualification. An assessment test certificate is only valid in combination with your foreign educational certificates. If you want to apply to study at TU Berlin after successfully passing the assessment test, you must (once again) apply via uni-assist.

Please check this information sheet to see if your focus course matches the degree program you wish to take.


Information for graduates of the Preparatory School who are ENROLLED at TU Berlin and have passed the assessment test or the examination in German at DSH-2 or DSH-3 level as part of the propaedeutic course: If you are applying via uni-assist for the first time for the semester following completion of your studies at the Preparatory School or the propaedeutic course, we will accept the preliminary certificate issued by the TU Berlin's Preparatory School.

APS/Subsequent certification/Group APS/Identity verification

For the summer semester 2021 applies:

When you apply for a bachelor's degree program at TU Berlin, you must upload the APS certificates. In case of an admission, you have to submit the original of the APS certificates in person or by post at TU Berlin's Team Bachelor International for the enrollment at the very latest. An upload is not sufficient for the enrollment.

APS (Akademische Prüfstelle)

If you acquired your educational certificate in Mongolia, Vietnam, or the People’s Republic of China, you must have it verified by the Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) of the relevant German embassy. The APS checks the authenticity of foreign educational certificates and can determine whether they meet the requirements as a university entrance qualification for German universities pursuant to the assessment guidelines of the Central Office for Foreign Education (anabin). After successful confirmation of equivalence, an APS certificate is issued which you must then submit online together with your foreign educational certificates to uni-assist.

Subsequent certification/Update of the APS certificate

If you have already gone through the APS process and subsequently studied in your home country or acquired a university degree, the following applies:

If you broaden your subject focus through periods of study in your home country or a university degree in your home country and only then are entitled to take up studies in the degree program of your choice at TU Berlin, you must have the last semesters and the university degree certificate subsequently certified. You must upload this update of the APS certificate together with your foreign educational qualification certificates in the uni-assist portal by the relevant application deadline. Otherwise your application cannot be considered and will be rejected by TU Berlin.

Group APS (Gruppen-APS)

The basis for a group APS is a cooperation between your foreign university and a German university. The aim of the cooperation could be the completion of bachelor’s or master’s degree.

The APS will inform the German university of the result of its assessment of your foreign educational certificates through a list (so-called P process for program students). You personally will not receive a separate APS certificate.

If you have successfully completed a bachelor’s or master’s degree at the German university within the framework of such a cooperation, TU Berlin accepts applications with a group APS and without an individual APS certificate. You can find information about applying with German educational certificates on the following web page.

Identity verification for Chinese DSD students - “211” verification

Prospective students with a “DSD-I or DSD-II certificate from a foreign language secondary school (12-year)” must submit online at the least the following as proof of their foreign educational qualification:

  • Identity verification of the DSD coordinator
  • Leaving certificate from the foreign language secondary school - 12-years of schooling
  • Proof of the German language diploma (DSD) of the KMK - Level I or Level II (front and back pages)
  • Proof of passing the Chinese university entrance examination (gaokao) with the number of points necessary for admission to universities in the so-called 211 project. As (indirect) proof for the passed gaokao, you may also submit a letter of acceptance from a 211 university.

German Abitur/educational qualification

You can recognize a German Abitur by the fact that it is expressly named in a school law of a federal state of the Federal Republic of Germany.

At the same time, a German Abitur contains an average grade in accordance with the German grading system as well as a resolution of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany (KMK resolution) determining whether a subject-specific or general university entrance qualification was acquired for Germany.

If your educational certificate has been recognized by a German educational authority, it is definitely not a German Abitur, as a German Abitur does not require recognition from a German educational authority.

An educational certificate equivalent to the German Abitur is not a German Abitur. You have only earned the right to study at a university in Germany.

The following educational certificates are examples of non-German educational certificates:

  • International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB Diploma)
  • Assessment test certificate (Feststellungsprüfung) – certificate from a German preparatory school

If you have foreign educational certificates or one of these two aforementioned (foreign!) educational certificates, you must always apply to TU Berlin via uni-assist.

If you have earned a German educational certificate, Undergraduate Admissions (national) is responsible for your application and enrollment:

  • If you have acquired a German higher education entrance qualification and would like to apply or enroll for a first degree
  • If you have already successfully completed studies at a German university and would like to apply for a second degree

European Baccalaureate

The European Baccalaureate is treated as a German educational certificate as long as an additional certificate is submitted pursuant to the annex of the KMK resolution of 14.06.2018. This certificate must contain the average grade converted to the German grading system.

Additionally, you require proof of German language skills.

You can find information about application or enrollment on the Undergraduate Admissions (national) web pages.

International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB Diploma)

In order for an IB diploma to be accepted as a direct university entrance qualification certificate, the requirements of the Vereinbarung über die Anerkennung des "International Baccalaureate Diploma/Diplôme du Baccalauréat International” (current resolution of the KMK on the recognition of the IB diploma) must be fulfilled for the relevant semester of application. This includes, among other conditions, that all subjects in the IB program were taken for two consecutive years.

In order to review whether all subjects were taken continuously, you must submit not only the diploma certificate but also your transcripts from your last two years of school with an overview of your subjects and grades. These must be submitted in full and in proper form via uni-assist by the end of the relevant application period.

The country of acquisition of the higher education qualification certificate is Switzerland, regardless which country you acquired the IB diploma in.

If you are applying for the winter semester and your diploma certificate will not be issued until August, you may submit an internet printout of your results with the final result “Diploma awarded” as a temporary substitute. You must also include the overview of your subjects and total points earned. In addition, you must provide the login details (username and password) for registration on the IBO website as verification. If you are admitted, you must then submit the final diploma certificate upon enrollment.

Professionally qualified applicants (without an Abitur)

If you have not acquired a university entrance qualification certificate from school but are able to provide proof of certain professional qualifications, you can apply for a study placement under certain conditions pursuant to Section 11 of the Berlin Higher Education Act (Berliner Hochschulgesetz - BerlHG). Further information can be found on the following web page.