I A - Office of Student Affairs
I A - Office of Student Affairs

Official Certification and Translation

Official Certification of TU Berlin Documents

PLEASE NOTE: Currently, official certifications and pre-certifications can ONLY be requested and returned by mail.

Please send your application by mail to:

TU Berlin, Office of Student Affairs, IA2, Straße des 17. Juni 135, 10623 Berlin

Payments can only be made by bank transfer to the following TU Berlin account:
Berliner Volksbank
IBAN: DE69 1009 0000 8841 0150 03

You can obtain officially certified copies of documents ONLY issued by TU Berlin from the Office of Student Affairs.

Transcripts and degree certificates from TU Berlin can be submitted for certification to the Examination Office. Please send the original documents, Application for official certifications and pre-certifications, as well as proof of payment by post or email to the relevant exam team.

It is only possible to submit original documents including copies together with the Application for official certifications and pre-certifications and proof of payment of the administrative fee during the Campus Center or Examination Office opening hours. Please be aware that you may have to wait to be seen. As a rule, certifications are issued within two to three working days. Preliminary certifications take a bit longer. You will receive an email when your documents are ready for pick-up.

For each officially certified copy of a document you have to transfer 2 euros to the above mentioned account. If you require, for example, 3 officially certified copies of a document, you must pay a total of 6 euros.

A maximum of 3 official copies per document can be made.

Please note, that we cannot guarantee that documents sending via mail will not be lost in transit resulting in the issue of replacement documents for a fee.

Information on pre-certification, apostille and legalization can be found here.

Official certification and translation of application and enrollment documents

All hard-copy documents required for application and enrollment are to be submitted as officially certified copies, unless originals or uncertified copies are specifically requested.

In the case of an online-only application, you simply upload all the required documents - without official certification.

For documents issued in languages other than German or English, an additional German or English translation is required – either as an original document or as a certified copy.

What does an official certification look like?

An officially certified copy always includes

  • A statement confirming that the copy faithfully reflects the content of the original
  • The original signature of the person conducting the certification
  • An original official seal

An emblem is generally incorporated into the official stamp. A seal consisting purely of text is not accepted. As a rule, you have to pay for an official certification.

Each single page of multi-page copies has to be officially certified, or presented with the seal applied in such a way that it is clear that each page is part of a single official document.

If a page is double-sided, then each side must be officially certified or the statement must clearly refer to both sides.

Should the certification be provided by a notary (seal with cordon), then a single stamp on just one of the pages of the copy or true copy is sufficient.

If the original contains an embossed seal (i.e. one where the seal is merely pressed into the paper), then this will usually not be visible on the copy. If this is so, the statement on the copy must further confirm that the original document bears an embossed seal.

Documents containing the sentence “automatically generated and valid without signature” or similar wording can be submitted as uncertified copies or printouts.

Who is permitted to officially certify documents?

Official certifications of documents may be issued by the following:

  • All public offices in Germany in possession of an official stamp are authorized to provide official certifications. These include: public authorities, registration offices, city halls, district and municipal authorities, parishes and boroughs, offices of mayors, courts of law and notaries, as well as churches regulated by public law
  • the schools and universities issuing the certificates as well as the ministry of education in your home country
  • the diplomatic representation of the Federal Republic of Germany
  • the cultural division of the embassy of the country where the certificate originates
  • public authorities and notaries authorized to provide official certifications in each respective country = customary certification in the country in question

The following may NOT officially certify documents:

  • charities and welfare organizations, translators, associations, student association bodies, the DAAD, lawyers, auditors, accountants, banks or other credit institutes
  • Translators may not certify documents in the language in which they were written, but only the translations which they themselves provided.

The following documents are NOT accepted:

  • Copies, color copies, screenshots, scans of officially certified copies
  • Official certifications of officially certified copies

TU Berlin will not accept any certifications failing to meet these requirements. Please make sure that the official certification meets the stated requirements and inform the office certifying your document of these requirements.

Official certifications not submitted in accordance with these regulations will result in your exclusion from the application procedure and the rejection of your application. Only in cases of doubt will TU Berlin insist upon presentation of originals.

What does a translation look like?

Certificates must always be submitted in the language of the country of origin. Should this not be English or German, a German or English translation of the certificate must also be submitted.

Translations of certificates must be made by official bodies, such as the authorized department of the institution issuing the certificate, or by sworn translators. Translations undertaken by translation agencies not fulfilling these criteria are not accepted.

Translations made abroad must be undertaken by institutions authorized to issue sworn translations (or the equivalent thereof) in their countries.

For certificates issued in a non-English speaking country which include an English-language version in addition to the original, the English-language version also counts as an original certificate. The same applies to German-language versions of certificates. For exceptions to this rule, please refer to “Info country by country” on the uni-assist website.

Certificates in French will not be accepted and must be translated into German or English.


Organization name Office of Student Affairs
Virtual office hoursMon, Tue and Thu 9-11

Campus Center:

  • Marker  Campus Center