Technische Universität Berlin

Student ID - Campus Card

The campus card serves as both your student ID and your Semesterticket, which allows you to travel on the local public transportation systems. This student ID also allows you to access a range of computer-based services.

Handling your student ID carefully

Please handle your student ID with care. Should you damage it by laminating, hole-punching, bending, breaking, etc., and the Semesterticket can no longer be read by the ticket inspector, you will have to pay a fee for a replacement student ID.

Important current information

During the activation of your tuPORT account you can now apply again for your student ID (campus card) incl. semester ticket and upload a photo for your student ID.

To avoid error messages or delays while printing your student ID card, please pay attention to the specifications in tuPORT for the photo. The photo should have a neutral background. Therefore please use a photo that is also suitable for an identity card. If you do not have a recent photo, you can also use a selfie taken with your smartphone. Please make sure that your face is not covered by objects or similar.

As soon as you can pick up your student ID incl. VBB Ticket ABC you will receive an e-mail from us with further information.


There is also the option of "Temporary Transportation Pass".

Please print out the "Temporary Transportation Pass/Vorläufige Fahrtberechtigung" in your tuPORT account and book an appointment to pick up your VBB Ticket sticker. On the day of your appointment, please take your printed “Temporary Transportation Pass“ form with you.


The current pandemic situation confronts us with significant challenges. The safety of our students and staff is very important to us.

Therefore the collection will be by appointment at the following times:

- Session 1: 22.09.-01.10.21, each Monday to Friday from 10:00 to 14:00;

- Session 2: 04.10.-05.11.21, each Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 15:00
(In session 2 additionally you can pick up a sticker for vaccination certificate as well.)


Pick-up location: TU Berlin, main building, cloakroom next to the Audimax, Straße des 17. Juni 135, 10623 Berlin.


You will receive an electronic admission ticket after registration and show it at the entrance.

Here you can find the link for making an appointment.

How do I receive my student ID?

After enrolling at TU Berlin, please request your student ID in tuPORT.

As part of this process you need to upload a photo, which will then be used to create your student ID. Please note that your photo has to conform to the rules stated in the tuPORT and requires a neutral background. Thus, please use a photo that would also be acceptable for a personal ID. If you do not have a current photo, you can also upload a selfie taken with your smartphone. Please make sure that your face is not covered. This can lead to your student ID or Semesterticket not being accepted by ticket inspectors on public transportation and a fine for riding without a ticket as well as a fee for the creation of a new student ID.

Your student ID will be created as soon as possible and sent by post to your address in Germany. Please make sure that your address in tuPORT is up-to-date and complete! You will receive an automated email once your ID is ready and in the mail.

It is not possible to send your student ID to an address outside of Germany. If you have provided an address outside of Germany, you will be normally informed by email when you can pick up your student ID in person. But because of the corona regulations it is currently not possible to pick up your student ID. It will be in storage. Alternatively, you can also provide an address in Germany, if you are now in Germany.

If you got re-enrolled after a former de-registration at TU Berlin and if your TUB account is still active, you have follow the instructions below to get a new and valid student ID.

  • If you have not returned your old student ID after the de-registration, you can apply for a new one via tuPORT (“My Data" -> "My Profile" -> "Ersatzkarte beantragen").
  • If you have returned your old student ID after de-registration, please contact the responsible office for student ID cards.

New and replacement cards - How to create a new student ID?

  • You can request a replacement ID in your tuPORT under: “My Data" -> "My Profile" -> "Ersatzkarte beantragen".
  • If you are both a student and employee: At first, please inform your responsible TU Berlin's human resources team about your student status. After registration please select in your tuPORT: "My Data" -> "My Profile" -> "Student" -> "Ersatzkarte beantragen".

The reissue or replacement of an ID is subject to a fee:
You can pay the fee of EUR 16 by transfer to TU Berlin’s bank account (include your matriculation number and name in the reference).

  • Reissue: current ID lost or stolen
  • Reissue: canceled termination of enrollment or revoked exemption from the Semesterticket (old Semesterticket was disabled due to exmatriculation or exemption)
  • Reissue: re-registration at TU Berlin and former ID was not returned after exmatriculation and/or was lost or stolen (TUB account still active)
  • Reissue: ID was sent to an invalid address and you did not receive it and TU Berlin was informed of the new address after you requested the ID
  • Replacement: current ID defective but not lost

The reissue or replacement of an ID is free of charge:

  • Reissue: re-registration at TU Berlin and former ID was returned after exmatriculation (TUB account still active)
  • Reissue: if you enrolled at TU Berlin and did not receive your ID and it was not returned to the TU Berlin
  • Reissue due to change of name: If your name has changed, you have to apply for an update of your personal information in tuPORT. As soon the update is done, you will receive an e-mail. Please check your current data in tuPORT. After that, you have to send an e-mail to the responsible office for student ID cards to receive a new student ID incl. a new e-mail address.
  • Replacement ID after changing your student status: You were a TU Berlin student with multiple enrollment and have already changed your status to a student who now primarily attend the TU Berlin: If you were previously a TU Berlin student with multiple enrollment but have successfully changed your student status and are now a student who primarily attend the TU Berlin, you require a new student ID before you can be issued the Semesterticket. Please send an email with “Ersatzausstellung nach Änderung des Hörerstatus” in the subject line to the responsible office for student ID cards. (Click here to learn how to change your student status.)

I think my student ID might not be working - what should I do?

It can happen that your ID is defective through no fault of your own. If your Semesterticket could not be read electronically during an inspection, you will receive a receipt with a transaction number from the respective transportation company. Your student ID will not be confiscated.

Please contact the TU Berlin's responsible office for student ID cards by e-mail as soon as possible (within one week). Should your card be defective, you will receive information how to get a new card free of charge. Please send a photo of your current card plus the receipt from the transportation company with the transaction number by e-mail.

You yourself are required to provide proof of a valid ticket to the transportation company as soon as possible. As a rule, you will need to present a photo of your newly issued student ID as well as your current enrollment certificate when doing so. TU Berlin will not contact the transportation company on your behalf. Please see here for relevant contact forms:

  • BVG
  • S-Bahn Berlin 
  • DB Regio
  • Other transportation companies: Other transportation companies do not provide contact forms for this issue. Please use general contact forms, or email addresses and other contact options provided. Please see the websites of the relevant transportation companies for further details.

Returning the campus card

Your student ID is property of TU Berlin. If you have completed your studies, exmatriculate for other reasons, or were exmatriculated, you must return your campus card by mail to the Office of Student Affairs.


Technische Universität Berlin
Studierendensekretariat (Office of Student Affairs)
IA 1
Straße des 17. Juni 135
10623 Berlin