The Workshop took place on 24.-25. February 2021.
Due to current restrictions in Germany, the Workshop was be held online as a ZOOM meeting.
International Workshop: 24. - 25. February 2021
Organizer: Georg-Peter Ostermeyer and Valentin L. Popov
⇒ Publications (open)
The topic of the workshop was part of the problem of the "third body" in tribology. The third body is closely related to all properties of a tribological system and determines the friction, the intensity of wear, the chemical composition of the surface layers and the relevant system dynamics. The mass transport process ultimately leads to the emission of wear particles into the environment.
The workshop focused on the current research on wear and particle emissions and aims to placing it in a broader tribological context of the third body. The problem of wear, the third body and emissions out of tribological systems are not only topical in scientific and political terms, but also highly complex. Recently, promising approaches for adhesive wear have been proposed. The organizers agree that now is the right time to look for new approaches to this highly complex problem.
• New approaches in simulation of adhesive wear
• Understanding the third body as an important current challenge of tribology
• Intermixing and transport of wear particles
• Lubricant flow in partially filled gaps
• Highly loaded contacts
• Method of Dimensionality Reduction (MDR) - applications for simulation of particle
• Applications of FFT-based Boundary Element Method (BEM) for simulation of particle
• Discrete element and molecular dynamics
Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Georg-Peter Ostermeyer
Technische Universität Braunschweig
Institute of Dynamics and Vibrations
Schleinitzstr. 20, D-38106 Braunschweig, GERMANY
Prof. Dr. Valentin Popov
Technische Universität Berlin
Institute of Mechanics, Sekr. C8-4,
Str. des 17. Juni 135, D-10623 Berlin, GERMANY