Student counseling mathematics

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions before beginning your degree program

Can I get advice on my decision to enroll in a mathematics bachelor's degree program?

Yes, of course. Even as a school student, you can come to the consultation hours of the Student Advisory Service without making an appointment. We can also be reached by e-mail. After information events such as the TU Info Days, we will take the time to answer your questions in detail.

If you want to get general information about the study possibilities at the TU, please use the office hours of the general student advisory service.

How does the application and enrollment process work?

At the TU, the bachelor's degree programs in mathematics, business mathematics and technomathematics are free of admission. You can enroll there directly.

With a German university entrance qualification (Abitur), you apply (or enroll) directly at the TU. If you have a foreign university entrance qualification ("HZB"), you can apply via, which checks documents, qualifications, language skills, etc.

For further information, please visit the website of the Student Secretariat.
Please note that the Student Advisory Service cannot give you any information about the status of your application.

The TU Berlin sends out its admission notifications at the same time as the other universities in the "Initiative for Coordinated University Admission". For the winter semester, for example, from the beginning to the middle of August. Applicants who have applied more than once can make their decision promptly and others can be admitted at a later date if necessary.

I have a bachelor's degree in a non-mathematical program. Can I still enroll in a mathematics master's program at TU Berlin?

The master's degree programs in Mathematik (mathematics), Technomathematik (technomathematics), Wirtschaftsmathematik (business mathematics), and Scientific computing are all mathematics programs. Most of the courses to be taken are advanced mathematics modules, so extensive knowledge of mathematics is required for enrollment.

Roughly speaking, for the master's degree programs in Mathematik, Technomathematik, and Wirtschaftsmathematik, you must demonstrate mathematics knowledge at the level of a bachelor's degree in mathematics or similar, which approximately covers the content of the courses

 cover. Note that these are theorem-proving oriented courses, which in their formal requirements go well beyond typical service lectures such as Mathematics for Engineers or Economics.  

For Mathematik, you must additionally prove three mathematical modules in the elective or specialization area and a mathematical seminar.

For Technomathematik, you must additionally prove at least 15 credit points in a technical application area.

For Wirtschaftsmathematik, you must additionally prove at least 15 credit points in the field of economics.

The master's program in Scientific Computing is also suitable if you have a bachelor's degree in physics or engineering. Here you must have at least

  •  18 LP in the area of Analysis & Linear Algebra
  •  6 LP in the area of Differential Equations,
  •  9 LP in the area of numerical analysis

have to prove. In addition, for the master's program in Scientific Computing, English language skills at the B2 level are required.

The admission requirements are regulated in the study and examination regulations of the degree programs. In case of doubt, the respective examination board decides on admission.

Starting your studies

What happens after enrollment?

Congratulations, you are now regular students!

Have you already received your tubit access codes? Then briefly familiarize yourself with the online platforms ISIS, MOSES and tubit (TU homepage, "Login" at the top in the center).
Furthermore, you can read more information about your course of studies, e.g. the study and examination regulations (see page of the corresponding course of studies).

Next, you can repeat the school mathematics in the pre-course mathematics. At the same time, you will learn what a lecture is about and how tutorials and exercice classes work. You will also meet your first fellow students! Please also have a look at the other offers for new students.

In the first week before lectures start, there is an introductory event for new students of the mathematical bachelor and master programs. You will receive tips on studying, recommendations on how to arrange your schedule, and the student advisors will introduce themselves personally. Afterwards, the student council Mathe-Ini usually hosts a breakfast at the Mathe-Café.

Do I have to take the pre-course in mathematics?

There is no requirement, only a recommendation to take the pre-course in mathematics.

How long is a semester, when are classes?

The lectures of the winter semester usually take place from mid-October to mid-February. In the summer semester, lectures are held from mid-April to mid-July.
The total of five lecture-free months are mostly used for exam preparation in mathematics and are rarely really free.

Dates, breaks and deadlines for the next semesters can be found here.

How do I create my (first) schedule?

For the first semester, some sample schedules for mathematics courses are offered in the student guide.

In the first Bachelor semester, all students should take the following subjects:

  • Analysis I (10 ECTS)
    • Lecture, Exercise Class, Tutorial = 8 hours per week course
    • weekly homework


  • Lineare Algebra I (10 ECTS)
    • Lecture, Exercise Class, Tutorial = 8 hours per week course
    • weekly homework

In combination with either

  • Computer-oriented Mathematics I (11 ECTS)
    • Lecture, Exercise Class, Tutorial = 8 hours per week course
    • weekly homework and programming exercises


  • BSc Mathematics: one or two courses of the minor subject.
  • BSc Business Mathematics: e.g. ABWL 1 (6 ECTS) and/or Accounting and Cost Accounting (6 ECTS).
  • BSc Technomathematics: e.g. Statik and elementare Festigkeitslehre (9 ECTS).

An average workload of 30 ECTS per semester should be scheduled.

What is "Modul"? What are ECTS ("LP") and "SWS"?

A Modul can consist of one or more subjects and is completed with an examination. If a module consists of several subjects (e.g. Linear Algebra = Linear Algebra I + Linear Algebra II), certificates of achievement ("Scheinkriterium") for the courses must usually be obtained in both semesters in order to be admitted to the module examination. The person responsible for the respective course determines how the certificates of achievement are organized.

A course in turn consists of lectures, exercises and (in the first semesters mostly) tutorials, in which the material is taught in various ways and in different group sizes.

LP/ECTS stands for credit points or ECTS (European Credit Transfer and System). This new measure is intended to ensure that the effort required for modules is comparable.

The term SWS - Semesterwochenstunde/hours per week  - is older and is also intended to indicate the time required for a course. A lecture with 2 SWS usually takes place for two hours each week. However, SWS hardly takes into account the differences in preparation time for a course; for example, 4 SWS lectures in mathematics usually mean a much higher workload than 4 SWS in other subjects because of the follow-up work and homework.

The semester starts soon, which courses do I need to register for?

No registration is required for lectures and exercises. This usually applies to all undergraduate courses, you can just walk in.
Registration for tutorials is done via the moses portal ( by the first Wednesday of the lecture period.

You will receive further information in the introductory lecture for the bachelor's programs.

By which deadline do I have to have chosen my minor?

There is no deadline for choosing a minor. You can choose whether you start with the minor subject directly in the first semester or not until later. This applies to the business section of business mathematics as well as to the technical section of technomathematics.

For BSc Mathematics: Some minor subjects can be taken sensibly from the first semester, such as Culture and Technology/Philosophy or Economics. The minor subject Computer Science is recommended only from the third semester or after completion of the module Computer-oriented Mathematics, otherwise important previous knowledge is missing.

Can I also study with a teaching option at TU?

There is no teacher training program in mathematics at the TU. In Berlin, this is offered by the HU and the FU.

What happens if I do not complete the bachelor's degree in the prescribed time frame?

The prescribed time to complete the bachelor's degree is six semesters, but this does not mean that the program must be completed in this time.

Questions about studying

Where can I find an overview of all mathematical modules?

You can find an overview of all mathmatical modules in the long-term curriculum, which includes all regularly offered modules, or in the overview of the mathematical modules of the bachelor and master programs. The latter also offers an overview of the different specializations.

How do I have previous academic achievements approved?

The approval of academic achievements is done by the examination board. For this purpose, you need the application for the review of previous achievements B and send it to the chairperson of the examination board of your study program. An overview with all contact details and office hours of the chairpersons of the examination boards can be found here.

Where can I get a study prognosis for the immigration department, BAFÖG, etc.?

The general student advisory service issues study prognoses, e.g. for the extension of a residence permit. The contact person for this is Dr. Fred Mengering. His contact details can be found here.

Change of degree program

How do I change my degree program/major?


Information on changing your degree program

Application for change of degree program or for a double degree program (There is no longer a fomular here, but an online registration for the change of degree program to admission-free degree programs (without NC)).

Recognition of academic achievements, which were taken at the TU and are required or optional components of the study program according to the study regulations, or were taken at the TU, other universities and equivalent universities within the scope of the Higher Education Framework Act or from the range of other universities recognized as equivalent and universities abroad and are to be recognized in the (free) elective area, do not have to be reapplied for, but can be requested directly from the examination office.