International Affairs
Welcome to Berlin
If you want to stay in Germany for longer than three months, you must register with the Berlin Registration Office. In many cases, you will then also have to apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office. We have summarized the most important information on this and on the residence permit for you.


Depending on your nationality, you may require a visa to visit TU Berlin as an international visiting scholar, degree seeking or exchange student. This page provides basic information about applying for a visa as a student or visiting scholar. Our team will be happy to help you with any questions you have. It is also a good idea to contact the German consulate in your own country.

Residence permit

If you are not a national of an EU member country or an EEA country and are residing in Germany for more than 3 months, you are required to apply for a residence permit.

Citizens' Registration Office

If you live in Germany, you are required to register your address within 14 days of your arrival at one of the Citizens' Registration Office (Bürgeramt). If you move to Berlin from abroad, though, the deadline is three months.


Students and researchers are always welcome to contact the TU Berlin for advice. We will tell you who to contact.