International Affairs
A lot of students have similar questions regarding exchanges at TU Berlin. Much of the information you need can be found on our website, but we would like to provide answers here to your most common questions.

How can I become an exchange student at TU Berlin?

You can only apply to be an exchange student at TU Berlin if there is a cooperation between TU Berlin and your own university.
You then have to be nominated for an exchange by your university by a specific date and submit your application via Mobility Online before the deadline expires.
You can find more information about applying here.

Which documents do I need to submit when applying to TU Berlin?

  • ERASMUS/European students: Application process
  • Overseas students: Application process

    You need to complete or upload your application documents via our Mobility Online application portal. You are not required to submit documents by post or email. 

When do I have to be nominated by and what is the deadline for applying?

  • Nomination periods:
    for exchanges in the winter semester - 1 until 30 April
    for exchanges in the summer semester - 1 until 31 October
  • Application deadlines:
    for exchanges in the winter semester - 1 June
    for exchanges in the summer semester - 1 December

Can I also study at TU Berlin as a free mover?

No, we do not accept free movers (please see first question regarding eligibility).
However, it may be possible to register as a visiting student. Please submit your questions about studying as a visiting student to: nebenhoerer(at)

Do I need to speak German to study at TU Berlin?

Yes, as nearly all courses are taught in German! Only very few courses are offered in English. 
As such, it is important to take German courses before your exchange at TU Berlin.

Please note: ERASMUS students must demonstrate A2-level German when applying!

Does TU Berlin offer preparatory courses in German?

Yes, the Center for Modern languages (ZEMS) offers a preparatory German course for exchange students a month before the semester starts.

ERASMUS students can only take part in this course at level B1 or above. Overseas students may attend at a lower level. 

How do I find accommodation?

Student accommodation and flats are in short supply in Berlin.
We therefore strongly recommend you look for accommodation as early as possible. As an exchange student you can either apply for a place in a student dorm via studierendenWERK Berlin through our office or look for alternative accommodation

When should I arrive in Berlin?

If you want to take part in a pre-semester German course, we recommend you arrive shortly before the information event for participants (at the start of March for summer semesters and the start of September for winter semesters).

Otherwise you should aim to arrive just before the orientation events for the semester (the start of April for summer semesters and the start of October for winter semesters).

This will give you time to take care of various bureaucratic issues etc. and settle in Berlin and at TU Berlin as well as find accommodation if you still need to.

You can find information about important dates and deadlines on our website.

Who can I contact if I have questions about my exchange?

You can find a list of contact persons for exchange students here.

Please note that there are different contact persons for students who come from Europe and for overseas students. 

Where can I find a list of courses offered at TU Berlin?

You can find general information about choosing courses on our website.

If you have specific questions about individual courses, please contact Course Guidance  for the relevant faculty. 

How much money do I need as an exchange student in Berlin?

This depends on your personal lifestyle. A rough monthly guide might look something like this:

  • Accommodation: approx. EUR 350-650
  • (statutory) health insurance: approx. EUR 100
  • Food: approx. EUR 150
  • Clothing: approx. EUR 60
  • Books: EUR 40
  • Other costs: EUR 40
  • Total costs: approx. EUR 900 per month

A good rough guideline is the funding you need to provide proof of when applying for a visa.
From January 2023, this will be EUR 934 per month. 

In addition, you are required to make the following one-off payment each semester:

  • Semester contribution (exchange students are not required to pay the administrative fee of EUR 50):
    approx. EUR 260 (includes the Semesterticket of approx. EUR 200 for BVG public transportation in fare zones ABC throughout the entire semester)

Please ensure that you have sufficient funds to finance your stay abroad before traveling to Berlin.

Can exchange students apply for scholarships at TU Berlin?

Usually exchange students apply for scholarships at their home universities or scholarship providers in their home countries. As a rule we are unfortunately not able to provide scholarships.

Here you can look up scholarship options for Germany, though.

Are exchange students permitted to work?

In general, this is possible but there are some rules. International students are permitted to work 120 days or 240 half days a year. You can find further information about working as a student here.