International Affairs

On the following pages we have summarized all the important information about working in Germany. Here, international students and visiting scholars will find links and tips on job hunting as well as information on taxes, salaries and legal requirements.

Career Service

The Career Service organizes seminars and training sessions on the topics of applying for jobs, career planning and starting a career, as well as soft skills training.
In addition, an individual check of application documents is offered in cooperation with the university team of the Employment Agency Berlin North. In the online job exchange you can find internships and working student jobs, student research projects and theses as well as trainee and other entry-level positions.

Internships in Europe with the EU scholarship program ERASMUS
Students of all majors can apply for an ERASMUS grant to support their three- to twelve-month internship abroad. Target countries include all European Union countries (including overseas territories) as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Turkey. Applications must be submitted at least six weeks before the start of the internship.
More information can be found online at:

The course PREPARE offered by the Career Service is an offer for career preparation during studies, which is aimed at students and graduates of TU Berlin. In a 3-week summer or winter school, students are trained in social, IT and management skills relevant to their profession. In a subsequent 6-week practical project you will deepen the acquired knowledge in cooperation with a company. The entire module can be recognized with up to 8 course hours per week or 8 credit points according to ETCS within the framework of the respective examination regulations.
The project is co-funded by the European Union (ESF).

Contact Career Service

Centre for Entrepreneurships

We support and advise you in every phase of your start-up project - regardless of whether you only have an initial idea or already have a finished business plan. During the semester, we offer training on key skills, including acquisition, project management and rhetoric, as well as seminars and a lecture series. You will receive support in applying for the Exist-Gründerstipendium and the Exist-Forschungstransfer. TU Berlin offers you rooms for business plan development in the start-up workshop and the use of University resources against payment.

Contact Centre for Entreprenuership

Information for visiting scholars

Employment contract

Your employment contract has to be signed before your official start of work. Before the beginning of your employment, your institute and the personnel department will let you know in time which forms and documents are required. More information about the personnel department can be found here.

Tax identification number

Tax and social security

If you have concluded a contract of employment in Germany with a university or research institution, you must generally pay taxes and the statutory social security contributions. The contribu­tions are shared between the employer and the employee. They are automatically deducted from your salary by the employer and paid into the insurance fund. As a fellowship holder you are generally exempt from social security contributions.

You can find more information on German social insurance here.



The German pension system is based on three pillars: statutory pension, occupational pension and private pension savings. Employees in the public sector are compulsorily insured in the "Versorgungsanstalt des Bundes und der Länder" (Pension Institution of the Federal Republic and the Federal States). VBL provides public-sector occupational pensions. Exceptions are allowed in certain conditions for temporary scientific employees (VBL extra).

The service department for personnel offers information brochures on the different VBL insurance types.

For more information on pension providers and systems in Germany as well as in Europe, please visit the FindyourPension platform.


What does a scientist earn in Germany?

Information concerning the application of collective labour agreements can be found here: