My research interests are at the intersection of development, sustainable innovation and industrial economics. More specifically, I am interested in analysing economic structures of developing and emerging economies as well as the impact of public policies that foster industrial development and innovation in sustainability-enhancing sectors such as renewable energies. I am using quasi-experimental (e.g. difference-in-differences, propensity score matching) and experimental impact evaluation methods (randomized controlled trials) as well as economic complexity metrics in my work.
- PhD Candidate at Chair of Innovation Economics (since 10/2020)
- MSc. International Political Economy, London School of Economics & Political Science, 2016-2017 (Dual Degree with SciencesPo Paris); Dissertation: Local Content Requirements in Renewable Energies and Extractive Industries - The Case of Brazil
- MSc. International Economic Policy, SciencesPo Paris, 2015-2016 (Dual Degree with LSE)
- BSc. International Business Administration, Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University, 2011-2014
- Visiting Student at Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV-EAESP), São Paulo, Brazil, 2013
- Scheifele, Fabian and Bräuning, Moritz and Probst, Benedict: The Impact of Local Content Requirements on the Development of Export Competitiveness in Solar and Wind Technologies. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews Volume 168, October 2022. Link
- Münch, Florian and Scheifele, Fabian: Nurturing National Champions? Local Content in Solar Auctions and Firm Innovation. Energy Policy, Volume 179, August 2023. Link
Selected work in progress:
- IGB SBG Evidence Fund for "Stronger together: a randomized controlled trial to help female-led SMEs export to sub-Saharan Africa"
- GIZ funding for impact evaluations of two interventions as part of the second phase of the PEMA-project (Promotion of export activities to new markets in Sub-Saharan Africa)
Teaching & Tutoring
- Intellectual Property Management (Winter term)
- Sustainable Innovation (Winter term)
- Standardization & Sustainability (Summer Term)
- 06/2021-05/2022: Consultant, OECD SME Policy Index 2022 (Chapter on Technical Regulations and Standards)
- 11/2017-09/2020: Project Manager for Water & Sanitation Projects, East Africa Department, KfW Development Bank, Frankfurt am Main.
- 06/2016-08/2016: Intern at Advans International (Microfinance Institution), Paris, France.
- 03/2015-06/2015: Intern at KfW Country Office Brazil, Brasilia, D.F.
- 08/2014-01/2015: Intern at Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft, Cologne.