11.03.1924 - 15.02.2013
Immanuel Broser was born in 1924 in Schaulen/Lithuania and studied physics from 1941 to 1945 at the Technische Hochschule Charlottenburg (later TU Berlin), where he also received his doctorate in 1948. He then worked for several years at the Institute for Electron Microscopy at the Fritz Haber Institute of the Max Planck Society in Berlin-Dahlem and habilitated in 1956. Immanuel Broser was appointed associate professor in 1964 and then full professor in 1966 at the 3rd Institute of Physics at the TU Berlin. From 1974 until his retirement in 1992, he was a professor at the newly founded Institute of Solid State Physics.
In his diploma thesis, Immanuel Broser worked under the guidance of Hans Geiger and Otto Haxel on the development of new Geiger-Müller counting tubes, which he completed in the last days of the war in April 1945. From June 1945, he was a doctoral student under Hartmut Kallmann at the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute in Berlin-Dahlem. Here he developed the first scintillation counter. This groundbreaking development was published in the Zeitschrift für Naturforschung in May 1947, half a year before a corresponding publication by Coltman and Marschal. Immanuel Broser reported on this exciting period, which culminated in his doctoral thesis in 1948, in the article "Fifty Years of Scintillation Counters" in the Physikalische Blätter.
In the 1950s, Immanuel Broser, in collaboration with his wife Ruth Broser, published fundamental work on the optical properties of excitons and transition metals in CdS. Ruth Warminski (Broser from 1951) had previously filed a patent on single crystal growth of CdS in 1946 together with Mr. R. Frerich. After important work on exciton physics, Immanuel Broser received calls for professorships in Marburg and at the TU Berlin in the 1960s. He subsequently became one of the leading experts in the field of II-VI semiconductors. He organized as chairman the ICL-1981, the II-VI-1989 and then together with Gottfried Landwehr the ICPS-1996 in Berlin.
In addition to his scientific activities, Immanuel Broser was a long-time external member of the Max Planck Society and a trustee at PTB. In teaching, he played a major role in shaping the education of solid state physics.
During this time, he mentored many habilitations, which contributed to a number of solid state professorships in Germany.
Due to his background, Immanuel Broser has been particularly active in scientific cooperation between Germany and the former Soviet Union. This international cooperation has led to many cooperation agreements between foreign universities and the TU Berlin. In 1991, he was awarded an honorary doctorate from Lund University in Sweden and in 2001 an honorary doctorate from the University of Bremen.
Immanuel Broser has been a committed member of academic self-government. He was Dean of the Faculty of General Engineering in the 1960s. He was director of the 3rd Institute of Physics and also managing director at the Institute of Solid State Physics at the TU Berlin. Furthermore, he was chairman of the budget committee of the TU Berlin for many years. After his retirement, he served as a reviewer of various research programs and, in the 1990s, as chairman of the supervisory board at the Institute for Semiconductor Physics in Frankfurt/Oder.
At the Institute, Immanuel Broser always understood how to unite different interests into a whole. We have experienced him as a committed university teacher, as a top-class scientist and, above all, as a mentor for young scientists. The Institute of Solid State Physics and the Faculty II - Mathematics and Natural Sciences of the TU Berlin will be eternally grateful to him for this enthusiastic commitment. We miss him very much.
Axel Hoffmann und Christian Thomsen