Institute of Solid-State Physics

Prof. Dr. Hans-Eckhardt Gumlich

10.03.1926 - 23.02.2013

Hans-Eckart Gumlich was born in Markersdorf/Thuringia in 1926 and studied physics at the University of Rostock, the Technical University of Berlin and the Faculté des Sciences Paris until 1954. He received his doctorate from the Technical University of Berlin in 1958. Subsequently, he worked for several years at the Institute for Electron Microscopy at the Fritz Haber Institute of the Max Planck Society in Berlin-Dahlem as well as at the University of Delaware and habilitated in 1968. In 1969, Hans-Eckart Gumlich was appointed to a professorship

of Experimental Physics at the Technical University of Berlin, which he held until his retirement in 1994.

Already in his diploma thesis Hans-Eckart Gumlich was fascinated by electroluminescence in II-VI semiconductors, which soon became his main research topic. Here he worked in particular in the fields of manganese-doped II-VI semiconductors and semimagnetic semiconductors, focusing on their electroluminescence and electronic properties. He was among the first users of the synchrotron radiation of the storage ring BESSY-I to elucidate the electronic structure of these semiconductors.

In addition to his scientific work, Hans-Eckart Gumlich has always been particularly concerned with good teaching and the development of a sense of responsibility in scientific research. Here, his commitment to the physics project laboratory in the undergraduate physics program, which is unique in Germany, and the establishment of tutorials in small groups are particularly noteworthy.

Thus, Hans-Eckart Gumlich was early and courageously involved in the reform and further development of university teaching in the modern mass university. In addition, he has actively participated in academic self-administration, in the Academic Senate and its commissions, as Director of the Institute of Solid State Physics and as Dean of the Department of Physics.

After his retirement, Hans-Eckart Gumlich took a keen interest in developments in physics and the relationship between the natural sciences, religion and philosophy. Thus, he led the philosophical working group of the Protestant Academic Association until the end.

In the institute as well as in private he was always a good advisor. We held Hans-Eckart Gumlich in high esteem as a committed university teacher, as a scientist, and above all as a modest person, and we will honor his memory. We mourn with his relatives.

Mario Dähne, Udo W. Pohl und Holger Eisele