I A - Office of Student Affairs

Applying for Master's Studies with an ECTS Certificate

Who does this rule apply to and when?

If you are applying for a master’s program and will shortly complete your bachelor’s degree but will not be able to submit proof of the completed degree by the application deadline, you can apply with an ECTS certificate. To do so, your university must use the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).

Applicants from universities that do not use the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) may only apply with a completed first university degree (generally a bachelor’s).

This rule only applies to master’s applications for the first degree semester. You must have completed your bachelor’s degree and have proof thereof to apply for a higher degree semester.

This option is a courtesy of TU Berlin to enable you to smoothly transition from a bachelor’s to master’s degree program. Applicants are required to submit proof of their bachelor’s degree within the first degree semester of their master’s studies.

Further information about the ECTS certificate

What is an ECTS certificate and where do I get one?

An ECTS certificate is an overview of your previous coursework and exams including the current number of ECTS acquired and a current preliminary cumulative average grade. It is issued by the examination office or relevant office at the university you are attending.

Applicants who are already studying at TU Berlin only need to submit a printout from their QISPOS account with the master’s qualification.To do so, go to your online portal > QISPOS-Ausdruck “Übersicht über alle Leistungen”. The TU Berlin Examination Office does not issue any certificates.

If this master's qualification is missing from the QISPOS printout, your application will be rejected.

Students in the SAP pilot degree programs should use the app “Notices and Certificates” in tuPORT to generate a grade certificate.

What does the certificate have to include?

The certificate must be an official certificate from your university and must be submitted together with an officiall list of your modules and grades. An official certificate is issued by the respective responsible office of your university (e.g. examination office) and must be either

  • be stamped and signed by the official office,
  • contain an indication that they have been produced by mechanical means or
  • contain a verification code.

The certificate must contain the following information:

  1. ECTS earned thus far from passed/completed modules. The total number of ECTS must be calculated. TU Berlin and uni-assist will not total the credit points.
  2. Your average cumulative grade
  3. The standard period of study or maximum number of ECTS possible in your bachelor’s degree program (This can also be proved by an extract from the study regulations.)

QISPOS printout

If you will acquire your bachelor’s degree from TU Berlin, you can submit a QISPOS printout with the master’s qualification noted (valid without confirmation from the Examination Office). As stated above, if this master’s qualification is missing from your QISPOS printout, your application will be rejected.

TU Berlin exemplary ECTS certificate for applicants from other universities in the EU

We recommend having your university fill out the template certificate from TU Berlin and attaching an officiall transcript of modules and grades. The template certificate includes all the required information.

In order to apply with an ECTS certificate, you may only have missing a maximum of 30 ECTS on the transcript for a successful completion of the Bachelor's degree. Different regulations apply to dual study programs, e.g. if these have a standard period of study of 6 semesters with a maximum of 210 ECTS, you may only have missing a maximum of 35 ECTS on the transcript for a successful completion of the Bachelor's degree

If you cannot provide proof of the total required number of ECTS by the application deadline, your application will not be included in the application procedure.

Use the following table to determine how many ECTS you must provide proof of to apply for master’s studies at TU Berlin.

Standard period of study of your bachelor’s programMinimum total number of ECTS points from completed modules required for application to TU Berlin
6 semesters150 credit points
7 semesters180 credit points
8 semesters210 credit points
Standard period of study and minimum ECTS points required

Special rules for teacher training master's programs

The Berlin Teacher Education Act (Lehrkräftebildungsgesetz) requires applicants to teacher training master’s programs to have a total of 120 ECTS in the core subject, secondary subject, and vocational sciences in their bachelor’s degree, a preliminary cumulative grade, and proof of registration of the bachelor's thesis.

If you are studying your core subject in a teacher training bachelor’s program at TU Berlin, please submit a printout from your QIS-POS account with the master’s qualification of at least 120 ECTS points including the registration of you bachelor's thesis. If the registration is not noted in the QIS-POS printout, please submit an additional document to proof the registration of your thesis or contact your examination office.


  1. You must submit a transcript with all your modules and grades.
  2. You must also provide proof of the standard period of study or maximum number of ECTS points that can be acquired in your degree program. An extract from your study regulations is sufficient. The standard period of study can also be proven with a printout from the Hochschulrektorenkonferenz website (select the federal state, select your bachelor’s degree program, and print page).
  3. Your preliminary cumulative grade from your bachelor’s degree thus far must be stated on the document you submit. This must be calculated by your home university.
  4. It is not possible to transfer directly to a master’s program without having completed a Diplom, Magister, or Staatsexamen degree program.
  5. If you do not fulfill the above criteria, your application is incomplete and will be rejected.
  6. If you are applying for a master’s program and have not submitted proof of a first university degree or the ECTS certificate described above by the application deadline, we will have to reject your application as being incomplete.

What do I need to know if I’m enrolling or re-registering for master's studies without having completed my bachelor's degree?

If you are admitted to a master’s program at TU Berlin and have not yet completed your bachelor’s degree at the time of enrollment, you are enrolled under reserve of revocation. You can read more about what this means on the following page.