Prospective students with an international higher education entrance qualification
Application for a higher degree semester
Applicant group D are applicants with
- a direct international university entrance qualification and
- proof of German language skills at proficiency level DSH-2 or higher
- who wish to apply for a higher degree semester
Special application documents
If you have already earned study and examination credits and would like to enter a degree program in a higher degree semester, you must submit a decision from the relevant examination board at TU Berlin placing you in the respective semester ("Fachsemestereinstufung") when applying to do so. This decision is to be documented in the "Application for Recognition of Previously Obtained Credits (Part A)", completed and signed by the TU Berlin examination board.
How to be placed in a higher degree semester:
You should submit the following applications completed in full and signed as well as proof of all study and examination credits thus far acquired to the respective examination board at TU Berlin and request assignment to a degree semester.
You can find contact details for the relevant examination board in our list of degree programs (click on the degree program for which you are applying).
The examination board enters its decision regarding your degree semester on the "Application for Recognition of Previously Obtained Credits (Part A)".
The Application for Recognition of Previously Obtained Credits (Part B) is retained by examination board.
It can take some time to process your application. Please contact the examination board as soon as possible to ensure you receive the completed "Application for Recognition of Previously Obtained Credits (Part A)", including the decision of the board regarding your degree semester, in good time when applying to uni-assist. You need to upload this together with all other documents before the application deadline closes.
- The examination board places you in a degree semester based on your previous study and examination credits. This is the degree semester you may apply for via uni-assist.
- When applying online, please select the degree semester that corresponds to the degree semester you have been assigned by the examination board. If the semester you select when applying online DOES NOT MATCH with the semester assigned to you by the examination board in the "Application for Recognition of Previously Obtained Credits (Part A)", the semester assigned by the examination board applies.
- The degree semester must fall within the standard period of study for the respective degree program at TU Berlin and must also be available in the semester for which you would like to apply. So, for example, it is only possible to apply for the 2nd, 4th or 6th degree semester when applying to start in the summer semesters of degree programs beginning in winter semesters only.
- The Application for Recognition of Previously Obtained Credits (Part A) must include the stamp and signature of the examination board. If the stamp is missing, you are required to upload the accompanying email or cover letter from the examination board as verification when applying via uni-assist. The accompanying email or cover letter from the examination board is not required if the application includes a digital signature from the examination board.
- Should you have definitively failed an examination in the degree program you have been studying thus far at a university in Germany, the examination board must ALSO be satisfied that this does not represent grounds for rejecting your application to the degree program of your choice and indicate this in your Application for Recognition of Previously Obtained Credits (Part A).
- If you apply for a higher degree semester WITHOUT approval from the examination board, your application will be rejected by TU Berlin.
Re-registration at TU Berlin
If you were previously enrolled at TU Berlin and would like to apply for the same degree program with the same study and examination regulations, then you are regarded as a re-registrant.
As a re-registrant, you also require a decision from the relevant examination committee regarding your degree semester:
- If you are applying as a re-registrant for the 1st degree semester, it is only possible to enroll if the decision assigns you to the 1st degree semester.You are required to upload the decision regarding your degree semester in tuPORT after you have been accepted for enrollment. Please note: If you receive a decision which assigns you to the 2nd degree semester or a higher degree semester, you are not permitted to enroll and your acceptance for enrollment is invalid.
- If you are applying as a re-registrant for a higher degree semester, you are required to upload the decision regarding your degree semester to uni-assist by the application deadline at the latest. The information for "Applicant group D: Application for a higher degree semester" is relevant for you.
Request a placement in a higher degree semester (Fachsemestereinstufung)
- To apply you require the „Application for recognition of previously obtained credits (Part A)" from the relevant TU Berlin examination board with placement in a higher degree semester.
- You can find out how to be placed in a higher degree semester above: "Special application documents"
- Applications for a higher degree semester without a placement in a higher degree semester for the semester applied for will be rejected by the TU Berlin.
Registration with hochschulstart.de?
Only nationals of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway applying for a restricted admission degree program (with NC) must register with hochschulstart.de:
- Before you begin the online application in the “My assist” online portal, please register with hochschulstart.de and create a user account. To do so, please click on “Registrierung".
- Once you have successfully registered, you will be issued an applicant ID (BID) and a BAN, which you will be required to enter in the “My assist” online portal.
- Do NOT start any applications on hochschulstart.de!
Online application, number of desired degree programs, handling fees
- Log on to the “My assist” online portal on the uni-assist website.
- Select a TU Berlin undergraduate degree program (bachelor’s or state examination) and enter the degree semester in which the relevant TU Berlin examination board placed you. If you are unable to select this degree semester, you cannot apply for it!
- Make sure to answer all the questions in the application carefully. CVs or certificates are not accepted in place of answers in the online application. Insufficient or incomplete information may lead to a rejection.
- You may only submit 2 applications for a higher degree semester
- for 1 degree program with restricted admission (with NC) for a higher degree semester
- for 1 degree program without restricted admission (no NC) for a higher degree semester
- You may also submit applications for the first degree semester of other study programs. The information for the other applicant groups applies!
- You must submit a separate online application for each degree program you wish to apply for.
- If you apply for more undergraduate programs than permitted, only those programs up to the permitted limit will be considered.
- uni-assist charges handling fees for the pre-check which must be paid before your application can be processed.
You can submit your application online exclusively. This means: The following required application documents don’t have to be submitted as hard copies to uni-assist but only in electronic form as PDF files by the end of the respective application deadline:
- "Application for recognition of previously obtained credits (Part A)" from the relevant TU Berlin examination board with placement in a higher degree semester
- Proof of university entrance qualification*
- Proof of German language skills*
- Passport (pages with personal data and signature)
*) Certificates must always be submitted in the language of the country of origin. Should this not be English or German, a German or English translation of the certificate must also be submitted.
In certain cases, original documents have to be submitted in case of admission for enrollment directly to the TU Berlin. This applies specifically to reasoned suspected cases and to random samples. Prospective students with an APS certificate have to submit the original in paper form by post at TU Berlin's Team Bachelor International in case of admission for enrollment. You can find more information about the APS here.
Selection process and notification
The selection process in a higher degree semester of a restricted admission degree program (with NC) begins mid-September each year for the winter semester and mid-March each year for the summer semester. You will receive the decision for admission or rejection exclusively by email without PDF attachment. It will not be sent by post/mail.