I A - Office of Student Affairs

Prospective Students with vocational training (subject-restricted access to higher education)

Which requirements do I need to fulfill?

You can apply for a undergraduate degree at TU Berlin if you

  1. successfully completed a recognized vocational training lasting at least two years
  2. have independently checked, by using the "Beruf Aktuell - Lexikon der Ausbildungsberufe" which can be downloaded from the website of the Federal Employment Agency and the list of occupational fields that your successfully completed vocational training is assigned to one of the specified occupational fields for the intended degree programme and thus entitles you to subject-linked admission to higher education.
  3. can prove eligibility to study in a freely chosen undergraduate degree programme by successfully passing an entrance examination, provided you have subject-restricted access to higher education according to 2.

If you did your vocational training abroad you need to have this recognized by the relevant office/authority for your profession. You can find useful information on the following website.
Admission Requirements are language skills at the level required by TU Berlin.

How do I know if I have to take an entry examination?

  1. Check to see if your vocational training falls within one of the related professional fields. You can refer to the list of training professions provided in the "Beruf Aktuell - Lexikon der Ausbildungsberufe" which can be downloaded from the website of the Federal Employment Agency.
  2. Than use the list of occupational fields to check which occupational fields are assigned to the intended degree programme and can open up subject-linked university access.
  3. If the occupational field is assigned to your vocational training, you are in possession of a subject-linked university entrance qualification and do not have to take the entrance examination.
    If the occupational field of your vocational training is not assigned to the intended degree programme, you must take and pass an entrance examination.

How do I take an entry examination?

  • You have to register for the entrance examination on your own. The entrance examinations take place in the first week of June and in the first week of December.
    Contact persons can be found on the web page of the Studienkolleg of TU Berlin. Here you also find out information about the entry examination.

How does the application process work?

  1. Please submit the documents listed below in full before the application deadline in the way, describes on the form.
  2. We will then check your documents. If your application is complete and fulfills all the requirements, you will be entered into the admission procedure.
  3. If we are able to offer you a place, you will receive a letter of acceptance with details about enrolling. If your application is not successful, you will receive a letter of rejection.

Which documents do I need to submit?

Please note: Submission is only possible in the way, described on the form.

  • Application for admission
  • Proof of completion of at least 2 years of state-recognized vocational training with final grade
  • If applicable, the document proving you have passed the entry examination

If you acquired your vocational qualification abroad, please additionally provide:

Please note:

  • Incomplete or unsigned applications do not take part in the admission procedure
  • A German or English translation is required for every document not originally issued in either German or English.

Accepted documents

Please note: The specified form of the supporting documents to be submitted can be found on the application form!

  • Certificates and other documents as PDF files
  • Proof of scholarship (if you wish to study at TU Berlin on an Aufstiegsstipendium scholarship from the Federal Ministry of Education and Research)

When do I need to submit my application by?

You will find the deadlines for all degree programs here.