The Königlich Technische Hochschule zu Berlin (Royal Technical Academy) came into being in 1879 through a merger of the Royal Trade and Building Academies. The Royal Mining Academy was incorporated into the Königlich Technische Hochschule in 1916.
The teaching objective of the three academies was to provide training for trades and technical civil service positions. Chemistry was also important in this context, with a focus on practical applications. Focus was placed on inorganic and analytical chemistry in combination with metallurgy and assaying. Chemistry, which was eventually housed in its own building, was organized into five sub-disciplines:
inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, metallurgical chemistry, technical chemistry, and photochemistry.
In 1933, the Faculty of General Technology, which included the chemistry department, was created. It was officially renamed the Faculty of Military Technology (Wehrtechnische Fakultät) in 1935. Preparations for World War II were already evident in the areas of specialization, such as explosives, gas warfare agents and gas protection.
Following the war, the Königlich Technische Hochschule zu Berlin was re-founded as Technische Universität Berlin with five faculties, including the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, at that time home of the chemistry department.
In the 1960s, student unrest led to upheaval and reorganization within the University, including the creation of 16 academic chairs. Chemistry was split into two chairs (Analytical and Synthetic Chemistry as well as Physical and Applied Chemistry). These later merged to form a single chemistry department with five institutes: Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Technical Chemistry, Physical and Biophysical Chemistry (Max-Volmer-Institut) as well as Physical Chemistry (Iwan-N.-Stranski-Institut).
In 2001, the institutes were combined to form the current Institute of Chemistry.
Text: Solweig Nothing