I F - Career Service

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can apply?

Applications are open to all students at TU Berlin, who are enrolled in a full course of study, i.e. are pursuing a degree (bachelor's, master's, doctorate)

Can I receive funding after graduation?

In principle, the ERASMUS + program also offers the possibility for graduate students to receive funding under certain circumstances.

ATTENTION: Unfortunately, we cannot offer this option because the budget available to us is not sufficient. Please try to find an internship allowance that covers your living expenses.

How do I obtain an internship?

Experience shows that our scholarship holders often find placements by doing their own internet research, through private contacts or through contacts known to the respective tutor.

Foreign chambers of commerce, foreign cultural institutions and German firms or organizations with international connections can give you additional addresses.

What should I be aware of when choosing an internship?

In principle any legal person (company, association, NGO etc.) can act as a host organization (employer). However, funding is not available for placements in

  • European institutions and organizations
  • institutions or organizations that administer EU programmes

Please note that the internship salary is often an indication of the quality of the placement: "unpaid" is usually synonymous with "unsupervised". Exceptions prove the rule, as in the fashion and design industry for example. Make every effort to obtain financial support from the company or equivalent payments in kind (e.g. lunch vouchers, public transport pass, housing).

The transnational concept of the EU programme must still be fulfilled: internships should take place in a different cultural and linguistic environment. In the case of dual non-German (or dual) citizenship, applications for funding for placements in the (second) home country will be given the lowest priority.

In which countries can internships be funded?

Full list of all countries eligible in the Erasmus+ programme.

Internships in countires outside of the European Union are eligbile for funding in the PROMOS programme.

Are there specific deadlines for application?

Since internships are not bound to specific deadlines in the academic year, you can submit your application documents at any time. All documents must be submitted in full no later than 4 weeks before the start of the internship.

If you have any problems, please contact us in good time!

How much is the grant?

How much is the grant?

You can find an overview of the monthly funding rates by destination country here.

The total amount is paid in two instalments: 70% at the beginning of the internship, 30% after completion of the internship and submission of the final report.

Can I obtain "AuslandsBAföG" and ERASMUS funding?

Mobility grants based on academic achievement, including ERASMUS grants, up to EUR 300 are not offset against the (Auslands-)BAföG [loans and grants (for study abroad) awarded under BAfög, the Federal Training Assistance Act].

You do not apply for the AuslandsBAföG at the Studentenwerk of the home university, but here


Performance-related mobility grants, i.e. also ERASMUS+ scholarships, do not count towards the (foreign) BAföG up to 300 euros.

Incidentally, you do not apply for BAföG abroad at the student union of your home university, but at special student unions. The office responsible for Spain, for example, is located in Heidelberg, the one for Ireland in Hanover. A complete list can be found here.

How great are my chances of a mobility grant?

The scholarships are awarded according to the funds available.

Please note: If there are more applications than funding available, preference will be given to those applications that involve a compulsory internship. We also reserve the right to consider the amount of the internship payment as a criterion.

Internships in the home country (return to home country) can theoretically be funded; however, applications in this regard will be given the lowest priority.

In any case, it is important that the documents are submitted on time and in full, a convincing letter of motivation as well as a professionally suitable internship position and academic recognition confirmed by the internship officer.

Please also note that there is no legal entitlement to funding in the ERASMUS+ programme.


Is it possible to get ERASMUS+ funding for more than one stay abroad?

Each student has a personal ERASMUS+ contingent of 12 months at their free disposal each study cycle. (Bachelor/ Master/ Ph. D.)

This contingent can either be used for study semesters or internships abroad. The minimum duration of stay (60 days for internships) must be respected, though.

In principle, it is possible to receive funding for several internships abroad. However, the second internship must take place in another company and/or country. For the continuation of an already running internship, we offer the option of an extension; the corresponding application must be submitted 4 weeks before the end of the originally planned internship period.

Please note that there is no legal claim for a grant.

Can I apply for funding when my internship has already started?

Provided that the minimum duration of 60 days (after deduction of the processing time of 4 weeks) is fulfilled, a partial funding for the remainder of the internship is possible.

Retroactive funding is generally not possible.

What are the language requirements?

Our basic recommendation is: You should have a good command of the working language, i.e. at least at CEFR level B2.

All students funded by the ERASMUS+ programme have to take an online language test before their stay. The result of the test has no influence on the eligibility of your internship, but it should roughly correspond to the level recorded in the Learning Agreement (working language).

Will my travel expenses be refunded?

In the ERASMUS+ programme, travel expenses are not reimbursed separately. However, copies of your travel receipts must be submitted with the final report of the internship.

Who is in charge of tripartite contracts?

In certain countries, e.g. France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Spain, so-called tripartite contracts are common or even required by law for internships. The three parties are the (receiving) company, the sending university and the intern.
In most cases, the internship company provides a draft contract. On the part of the TU, a representative of the degree programme can sign the contract, e.g. the internship officer.
Please note, that the Career Service is not in charge of signing three-party contracts.

Couldn't find the answer to your question?

Our FAQ is continuously updated and revised. If you still cannot find the answer to your question, please send it to us by e-mail at  erasmus-praktika(at)tu-berlin.de.