The basis for the activities of company physicians are state and trade association regulations. The tasks of company physicians are defined, among other things, in §3 of the Occupational Safety Act (ASiG) and serve to protect the health of employees and to prevent occupational accidents, work-related illnesses and occupational diseases. In detail, these are the following tasks:
- Advising those responsible for occupational health and safety (university management, executives) and employees on all occupational health and safety issues.
- Advice on the planning, construction and maintenance of operating facilities
- Advice on the procurement of technical equipment and the introduction of working procedures and substances, the selection and testing of personal protective equipment, the design of workplaces, work processes, the working environment and other questions of ergonomics, as well as on the assessment of working conditions
- Consultation, examination and occupational medical assessment of employees within the framework of occupational medical precautions as well as travel medical consultation
- Inspection of workplaces, including reporting any deficiencies found to the responsible persons, proposing measures to eliminate the deficiencies and working towards their implementation
- Participation in the reintegration of disabled persons into the work process after a long illness
- Participation in the promotion of health in the workplace