The electronic studio of the Technical University of Berlin has existed since 1953. The requirements for a studio began when Hans Heinz Stuckenschmidt took office in 1949 as professor of music history (recording of sound samples in the »studio auditorium« H 2053 specially prepared for this purpose). Starting in 1954, Fritz Winckel organized a series of lectures on "Music and Technology" and organized two international congresses for EM in the 1960s; from the winter semester of 1954/55 he offered the lecture "Studiotechnik". The first artistic studio production came about in 1954/55 with Wilfried Schröpfer's music for Harry Kramer's puppet show »Mechanical Theater«. In 1957 Winckel was appointed professor (»Scientific foundations of language and music«). It was not until 1961 that the entire spatial, personnel and technical situation was consolidated and an archive for "experimental" music began to be built up, which forms the basis of today's studio archive.
The "artistic career" of the studio began in 1964 with Boris Blacher's first self-sufficient tape work »Skalen 2:3:4«. This was followed in 1966 by Blacher's "Incidents during an emergency landing" for the Hamburg State Opera, where for the first time entire scenes were designed solely with loudspeaker music, and in 1970 by "Music for Osaka", a seven-channel spatial music work by Blacher for the German spherical pavilion at the Osaka World Exhibition which the department had developed the technical conception of the recording studio.
In 1974 there was a dangerous caesura: Blacher died, Winckel retired, Rüfer left Berlin. Only Manfred Krause remained, supported by the new studio manager Folkmar Hein and by the research and teaching assistant Ingrid Bihler: In 1979 the continuation of the course was decided, contractually secured in a joint construction of the TU and HdK, Manfred Krause was appointed head of the department. At the same time, the Electronic Studio opened up to the international world, primarily through the guest professors Herbert Brün (1978) and Jozef Patkowski (1979) and through cooperation with the Berlin artist program of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) since around 1979. The resulting The resulting activities and productions can be described as the actual breakthrough of the TU studio with far-reaching consequences: In 1982 the "Inventionen" festival was founded, bundled with a strongly expanding activity in the local and international public, 1984 succeeded through the initiative of the guest professor Klaus Buhlert and, thanks to a generous donation from DEC, the entry into computer music. After several moves, this development led to a new studio building in the EN building in 1996, ideally suited for any type of room sound reinforcement, used for appropriately oriented teaching and research, for composition and sound reinforcement, meeting place for students, lecturers and guests.