State-of-the-art electron microscopy requires an undisturbed environment. In particular, stray electromagnetic fields, vibrations, temperature fluctuations, noise and air flow must be minimized. In the heart of Berlin's City West, this is a real challenge that can only be met with a purpose-built building. The building TEM is located on the northern TU campus. Here are a few facts:
- 700 m2 floor area, 580 m2 usable area
- House-in-house construction
- Four identical electron microscopy rooms
- Temperature stability better than 0.1°C / 30 min in all four microscope rooms and in the microscope technique room
- extremely quiet air conditioning with slow flow rate
- very low stray electromagnetic fields
- very low vibrations due to special construction of the foundation
- Completion in August 2010, opening after installation of the microscopes in October 2011.
The building TEM is operated jointly by AG Lehmann and ZELMI.